I need the rules for drinking and breastfeeding

im not really a drinker, but if i wanted to have a drink, what are the guidelines? i do breastfeed and i dont want to do the wrong thing, ivelooke dit up online and all ive gotten are conflicting answers and/or people assuming im some drunk that wants to party with my 3 week old, lol, let me know what u have done and if u have any advice... if it helps .. i do use a pump as well

Mother_of_Pearl

Asked by Mother_of_Pearl at 6:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Safe to drive = safe to nurse. One to two drinks? Go ahead and nurse. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Pumping and dumping is ineffective, only pump if you need to keep supply up for a missed nursing session.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• drinking alchohal isnt good when breastfeeding because it does go in the milk. I would put off the drinking until you dont want to breastfeed anymore. The baby is more important than drinking.
    Merediths_Mommy

Answer by Merediths_Mommy at 6:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• go to kellymom.com I think there is a chart on there not sure what it is under.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to nurse. As the alcohol is metabolized and leaves the bloodstream it leaves the milk as well. You do not need to "pump and dump" to "get rid" of the alcohol. Check out Breastfeeding and Alcohol for more detailed guidelines and info.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• once you dont feel drunk or tipsy anymore, the alcohol is out of your blood stream so also out of your breastmilk. Do not nurse while drinking. The safe bet is to wait one hour after you quit drinking for each drink you had. (you have 2 drinks, then 2 hours after the last drink, it is safe again.)
    You can pump and dump so that your milk doesnt dry up, and make sure to stock up on breastmilk so you can feed the baby during that time.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• FYI...pumping and dumping wont get rid of the alcohol (like PP said) but it is helpful to relieve yourself from engorged breasts when you go too long without nursing. (otherwise your breasts will be rock hard and leaking.....)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Something to keep in mind is that you could pump before hand to make sure she has milk while you're drinking. If you're going to have enough to get you "drunk" (for me that is like 3-4+ drinks) you need to make sure your DD will have something to eat while youre drinking, AND that you wait long enough to nurse. 1 drink=1 hour, just like drinking and driving (like the PP's stated).
    Anonymous

• Save to drive safe to nurse. One drink sipped over a period of time especially on a full stomach is going to have a negligible effect.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If I want a drink or two, I wait until shortly after I feed my daughter. I figure it's out of my system by the time she eats again. Now that she is sleeping for a long stretch at night, I wait until she goes to bed.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• One drink? No problem. Generations of French and Italian women drank a glass of wine with each meal WHILE nursing. NOT an issue.

If you're falling down drunk, then no nursing till you're no longer falling down drunk...however long that takes. There are no set times on the clock for gauging this.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2010