My 4 month old weights 12.6 lbs...is he too small?

I keep seeing kids my sons age and younger that are bigger than he is...I'm scared he's too small.

abbynzachsmommy

Asked by abbynzachsmommy at 6:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what was his birthweight? my oldest was 6.9 at birth so she was probably 12 lbs around 6 months. she was and still is tiny & tall but healthy at 3 years old. is your pediatrician worried?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• he was 8lbs 13 oz.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If he's gaining consistently, that's more important. As long as his weight gain didn't drastically slow down, he's probably fine. There are only baby weight percentile calculators. Just google it. If you're concerned, ask his doctor. My son is currently almost 4 months, and he's about 14 lbs.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Honestly, you have to look at your sons growth compared to himself. Has he been gaining consistently? Has he been eating normally? Has he been sick? Also, you need to look at the size of yourself and the babies father. Are you both small? My kids were "small" to, but my dh and I aren't that big, so the kids probably won't be either.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Same as everybody else - you have to compare him within his growth rate. Sofie is 7 months and only 13 something but she has always been in the 5th percentile for weight and 10th for height so no worries. You only need to be concerned if all the sudden they have a large drop or rise in their percentile group. My oldest was 8.7 at birth and was still wearing 3 month clothes at one year.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He doesn't sound too small to ME, but I don't know what his particular growth pattern is.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• he doesnt sound like he's under weight if he was im sure his doctor would tell you so my ds is 3 months and 15lbs 13oz he was 7lbs 3oz at birth just depends on your childs growth rate dont rate him on other peoples children :)
    Anonymous

• Adults have different body types, so it makes sense that babies would too. My 6 month old is 13lbs, and her ped wasn't concerned. As long as he has enough wet/poopy diapers and is meeting milestones, there probably is no reason to be concerned.
    terribeari

Answer by terribeari at 7:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It is all dependent on the child's current growth. If you look at my DD compared to other kids her age you would think that she is much younger. My DD is the average size of a 10 or 11 mo old and is 18 mos. Her friend who is 13 mos is almost a whole head bigger than she is. At 4 mos my DD weighed close to 8 pounds and BW was 5 lbs 14 oz. Just be patient and try to not compare your child with other children especially if he is growing at his own rate and developing normally.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Growth charts are averages. SOMEBODY has to be small and SOMEBODY has to be larger than average. You can't compare babies with each other because not everyone is average sized.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010