sacrilegious?

My 8 yr old makes her first holy reconsilliation today. So I told her if she wants to go into her brother's room and break something so she has something to confess it was ok with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• ROFL! Then are you going to have your son break something of hers, to teach them eye for an eye?
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Come out behind your blue question mark if you want to bash Catholics...
    Anonymous

• sounds like you have a great understanding the sacrament of reconciliation. Maybe you would like to take advantage of it as well?
    Anonymous

• Huh?
    Anonymous

• You are teaching her that she should go and sin so she can then participate in a religious act with God? Do you think God wants her to break her brothers toy? It might be misrepresenting the whole point of your religion.

I think God is more pleased when we are kind and loving to each other. Treating others, and their objects as we would want to be treated. So I don't think it is a good idea.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Confessions for kids is a joke. I think they start them too early. 3rd graders just don't get the concept and I don't remember a single kid when I was in school that didn't lie at confessions which always struck me as hilarious. They never wanted to tell their real sins so they lied and confessed about being mean to their siblings or saying a not so bad cuss word, all the while committing and even bigger sin.
    I went to Catholic school for 13 years (K-12) and have nothing against Catholics. Actually I have a soft spot in my heart for them and my kids go to a Catholic school. I never did any of the Sacraments, though, since I was never baptized. My kids aren't either (I'm atheist now) so they don't do the Sacraments (my oldest dd's class had their First Reconciliation and First Communion last year).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• oh dear anti Catholic anon here is a blog about a mother's experience  when her hcild went to confession for the first time

Anonymous

• My son made his first confession when he was in third grade. A few weeks after his first confesion he asked if he could go again.
    when we got home he did the dishes (yes in their grade) he than asked his sister if she needed help cleaning her room and said he was sorry for being mean to her.

Now, I am just saying my third grader seemed to have a good grasp on what the purpose of confession is all about. Don't discount kids too soon. THey are smarter than you think.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 6:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Yes I tell my kids the same thing all the time.

oh please if your going to bash at least spell Reconciliation correctly. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• yes in third grade is what that should read. my computer is going slow making proofing a pain
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 6:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010