What does it mean to you...

to love others as God does?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This actually sounds a lot more simple than it is. We have to think about what it really means to love - especially the kind of love that God portrays, which is selfless and unconditional. When looked at in this light we see that loving our neighbors is really a very entailed process. It involves letting go of selfishness, expectation, condition, etc, while acting with complete honesty, humility, grace, compassion, and so on. It means always doing the best we can to lift others up, to never do or say anything that could harm them - and so much more. Its something that I don't think anyone ever gets completely right, but its something that we can always work towards improving upon.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• To love them as I would my family. Despite their differences or faults, to still care and have compassion for all.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, the only answer I can give is what Jesus said. "And here is how to measure it--the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends." John 15:13.

God showed us the full extent of His love by dying on the cross for us. He has given us that as an example as well. That we would love sacrificially, even when it hurts.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Jehovah loves us unconditionally, we should love fellow man the same
    Anonymous

• " He has given us that as an example as well. That we would love sacrificially, even when it hurts. f"

But how do you or would you do this? Do you love all people, despite their sins and faults? do you forgive those that hurt you, and continue to show them love, not just love them from afar? Do you act out in anger when someone hurts you?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't view God as loving... so I can't really respond to this.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• it is the goal I strive for but cannot reach because I am a human. I cannot do anything as perfect as God
    Anonymous

• Honestly I try my best, and when I am at the end of my own ability I pray and ask for God to help me keep loving. But I am human and I do mess up. Sometimes I don't realize I am carrying a grudge against someone and the Lord will gently show me, and then I can ask for grace and if I need to apologize to someone I will.

I don't do it to earn God's approval, but because I was forgiven a great debt by the Lord. I appreciate His grace and love towards me, and I want to make Him smile by showing His love to other people.

Honestly the only sins people have that make it hard for me to love them are child abuse and murder. One book that really helped me is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. Her sister Betsie was able to have compassion on the most wicked people, because she saw that their deeds would end up with severe judgment from God. They both were in a concentration camp.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• im with IhartU on this one.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Cinn~Honestly, you are but a few I've seen on here that truly show compassion towards others. If this is what christianity is about, I can see why so many are brought to it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010