Cutting little boy's hair...

My son is 2 years old and his hair is getting long. It's time for some kind of hair cut. I need an easy to do hair cut that does not involve using clippers. My son is terrified of clippers and there's no way he would sit still for that. It has to be something really easy since I will be cutting it. There are no kid friendly salons around here and given his personality and such it will be a much less traumatic experience if I can do it at home. Thanks so much! Pictures would be great!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Her son has autism...that's going to significantly reduce the success rate of forcing him to endure it. I do agree with the letting him "make friends" with the clippers idea, but that will probably be a slow process. Try earplugs, too, if it's the noise. If it's the vibration, you can try getting one of those massagers or back pillows or something, and maybe he can acclimate to the sensation that way. Vibration and noise together that close to your head/ears can be a big issue with ASD people. In the meantime, try catching him asleep or engrossed in some activity, and just work toward leaving his hair the way it is, only shorter, with regular scissors. Don't worry if it looks a little choppy. It's more important to consider the big picture here. Good luck!
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well when I tryed to cut my youngest hair she cryed and move all around. But when I called to get her an appt. I explained it was for my Dd that was scared of sissors. They recommend a certain person that was good with kids. She sat so much better with them then with me. But that is my personal exprience.
    Anonymous

• I would do it while he was in the bath, or while he had a bottle and watching tv and i just trimmed his had my self. just cut like like his hair is just an inch shorter
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 7:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• a bottle? he is 2, kids at age 2 dont need a bottle. Anyways, my youngest is 3 1/2 and i can care less if she moves around. we go to the salon to get it cut and force her to sit still. Its life, thats how it is
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 7:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I had this same problem with my son at this age it was when he turned 3yrs old the fear started to fade, what I did was cut it in the bathtub and tried to give him lots of bath toys to keep him busy while i did it, he won't have the 'best' looking hair during this time because of all the movement they do it makes it nearly impossible to cut it even, but i got by.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• try taking him to the salon and letting him sit in your lap the first few times
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'm sorry I'm not helpful, but it sounds like other moms gave you some great advice so far.

Good luck.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 7:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Hi hairstylist here, and unless he is dead asleep, you run the risk of cutting him!! Take him to a salon, because it is really hard even for me to cut a moving target! Can you show him the clippers? Put them on your arm and laugh, have dad do it any any little kid you can get your hands on. To be honest that is the only way to get it even, sorry of not more help, but trust me if you nick him whild cutting it good luck getting the chance again!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would suggest a barber, they are usually friendly old men that will make him feel like a big boy. You can take your camera and tell him if he sits like a big boy he will get a treat when you're finished. That's what we did with our son, actually his Dad went along and got a haircut too so our son would see him get one too.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• to aeroslove, I was just giving and example when i gave my son a hair cut at a younger age. also some kids do still have bottle, guess i should have said cup because this is a perfect world and every two year old has cups sorry
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 8:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010