My 5 year old is peeing on the floor in his room.

My son is almost 6 I am nine months pregnant and I am getting fed up with him peeing on the floor. I have tried everything, making him clean it up, taking away toys and privalages, talking about it with him everything I usally get the same anwser I dont know. Please if anyone can help please do
Laura

steelersmoma

Asked by steelersmoma at 7:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get a small portable toilet or a potty chair even for him to use in his room. You'll need to set it on a mat of some kind, even a computer chair mat, something that you can wipe clean, but this way he'll be able to "go" in his room but not make the mess. He may have some reason that he is afraid to use the bathroom or embarrassed or can't make it in time because he is interested in something else. If he has to clean up his own potty chair, maybe it will occur to him that it is easier to use the bathroom to begin with.

Answer by Bmat at 7:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Oh wow, sounds like you need a good child therapist! My son is 6.5 and him peeing in the floor intentionally like that just seems totally unreal to me. Maybe he's being defiant. Maybe he's anxious about a new baby. My son was the same age as yours when I was pregnant and he was extremely anxious after being an only child for so many years. All kids act out differently. Get him to talk to someone quick before the baby comes or your problems may get worse :(
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 7:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have no idea. Children younger than 7 are strongly imitative, so they learn by example much more than by scolding or punishing. How to UN-plant this idea in his mind would depend on how the habit started in the first place ...

I would seriously suggest looking into some experts' books or asking to speak with a child specialist - they would have encountered child after child with such situations and could give you the benefit of their experience.

Good luck !!

Oh, and get yourself the book Siblings Without Rivalry - we had three children, and the advice in it worked beautifully ! Our children did NOT pick on each other, they were sweet to each other and the only influence causing them to feel deprived or jealous came from relatives (whom I could have gladly strangled, sometimes ! )
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010