question about my friends kid

my friend has a little boy just turned a year old in oct. he is still not walking. he pulls up,climbs and took a few steps once and that is it. today she took him to the dr for a check up and the dr walked with him by holding his hands and when doing that he saw that he throws his right leg out. told her to bring him back in 2wks if not better he will send them to a specialist. just wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong with him and what a specialist could do? anyone been through this?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hip displasia (sp) maybe? Who knows. My son had nothing wrong with him but didn't walk til he was 17 months old.
    Anonymous

• She should take him to a chiropractor that specializes in kids - it would be a huge help!
    Anonymous

• I don't know about the leg thing. But a lot of babys don't walk too 15 or 16 months.
    Anonymous

• My hubby is an orthotist he sees this quite a bit, could be a number of things, form improper hip joints, to him always sleeping the wrong way, good news is most cases are treatable! Good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Ps--no chiroprator till the doc sees him again, this is not the avenue for small children! I just told my hubby and he said type her back NO CHIROPRACTOR!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• There is NO HARM in going to a chiropractor. Many times it's safer, and requires less intervention, than going to a specialist. A specialist could want to cast a child from chest to knees to straighten it all out, when all it would take is a few chiro adjustments. I'm a strong advocate for chiropractic, it is so much better than doctor care in many cases!
    Anonymous

• I also really believe in Chiropractors and am so happy that I have one. Both my girls have gone since they were born.

A Chiroprator specializes in bones and will be honest if you need a specialist if they can not help you. We have saved so much money going to the chiropator then seeing specialist.

I think when she goes back in two weeks to take to her Dr and find out what he thinks it is and about Chriopators. If she even finds out what it is. She can look up the belifes between the two.
    Anonymous

• OMG there is to young babies who bones are not formed! I am not against it, but this is something that can cause Damage that cannot be undone if not treated correctly!!! I am not against it either, but ALL chiroprators, just like doctors are not so whippy! My hubby has been in this profession for 20 years and my brother is a surgeon, so sorry but I am going with them on this one!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• When they were babies all we did was have to hold them a certain way to help them. Like he showed us movements we could do for them and messages to do with. Just like if you go to a message class but he know which ones would help with certain problems. He was not do what he does to us as an adult.
    Anonymous

• I mean a message class for infants to help calm them.
    Anonymous