Thoughts on the Dr. Tillers murderer and his defense?

WICHITA, Kan. – Before the first juror is selected or witness called, a decision allowing a confessed killer to argue he believes the slaying of one of the nation's few late-term abortion providers was a justified act aimed at saving unborn children has upended what most expected to be an open-and-shut case.

Abortion opponents are pleasantly stunned and eager to watch Scott Roeder tell a jury his slaying of Wichita doctor George Tiller was voluntary manslaughter. Tiller's colleagues and abortion rights advocates are outraged and fear the court's actions give a more than tacit approval to further acts of violence.

"This judge has basically announced a death sentence for all of us who help women," said Dr. Warren Hern of Boulder, Colo., a longtime friend of Tiller who also performs late-term abortions. "That is the effect of the ruling."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_abortion_shooting_trial

The facts of the case are not in dispute: On a balmy Sunday morning, Roeder got up from a pew at Wichita's Reformation Lutheran Church at the start of services and walked to the foyer, where Tiller and a fellow usher were chatting around a table. Wordlessly, he pressed the barrel of a .22-caliber handgun to Tiller's forehead and pulled the trigger.

Prosecutors charged Roeder with first-degree murder, and the 51-year-old from Kansas City, Mo., later admitted to reporters and in a court filing that he killed Tiller. The prosecution stands ready with more than 250 prospective witnesses to prove it.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• That two wrongs dont make a right and that killing this man will NOT stop the WOMEN from killing their babies. Thats just stupid.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Personally, I feel he should be allowed to argue that standpoint. He is obviously insane and that will only help justify the fact. The case is still open and shut and the dude is going to be given the death penalty or live the rest of his life in a criminal insane asylum. I am impressed that most pro life people are sticking to their guns, and denouncing him. It actually makes me want to listen to their opinion, rather than just walk away.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well.. he has every right to use whatever argument he wants to in order to defend his actions. He obviously doesn't care if he dies or goes to prison because he has voiced his guilt (not remorse). He will be given the appropriate sentence.

" All evils are equal when they are extreme" - Pierre Corneille
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Seems a bit scary to me that the judge is allowing this defense.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He can say anything he wants. He killed a man. He admits it, and has no remorse. Let him attempt to justify why he was better than the person he murdered. He will still end up in jail, rotting.

Love how people like this think that others' justify their illegal actions. I say give them and all their crazy their day in court. Hopefully, even the most fundamental are able to judge this by the law, and not what they think ought to be law.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am impressed that most pro life people are sticking to their guns, and denouncing him. It actually makes me want to listen to their opinion, rather than just walk away

me too..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Although I don't agree with abortion, it is legal. Murder is still illegal last time I checked. He should get whatever the max penalty is for that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Murder is murder. I believe what he did was wrong. It wasnt his place to play God and kill Dr. Tiller. But I do not agree with Dr. Tillers profession but agree he has faced his judgement and only God and he know what that was. I also believe abortion is murder but you cant go around killing murderers bc of ones opinion on their actions.
    PsychologyMama

Answer by PsychologyMama at 10:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am kind of surprised the judge is allowing it. As far as I am concerned this type of case is one in which the guilty party should just be taken out behind the building and given a quick dispatch courtesy of Smith & Wesson.

I am against abortion except in extreme circumstances, but ^^^^THIS is not how you go about trying to limit/stop them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010