How do I get my 16 month old son to stop throwing toys and hitting?

I've tried looking him in the eyes and saying 'no' to him with my index finger out, like I'm scolding him, smacking his hand not forcefully and saying 'no throwing/hitting', but he just doesn't get it. I live with my parents and my father doesn't like things that scare him -- like baby throwing. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pick up the toys and do not give him them back, Everytime he throws a toy , put it up.

Answer by louise2 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You meant throwing baby dolls didn't you? Haha! I read that the first time and thought you meant your father didn't like you punishing him by throwing him! Sorry...So challenging to discipline when you live with family. Yes, it just takes lots of repetition.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• And it's a phase. Right now he's learning cause and effect. I throw it....it flies, lands, bounces, makes a noise, etc. Also, at 16 months he won't have the memory retention that he'll have in another year. However, I still would take away the toy, AND redirect him to something else, OR have him "toss" toys into a laundry basket or whatever. I wouldn't smack his hand, because you'll be doing it forever and you'll feel more guilty about doing it than it will help him at all. He just won't remember, but he will eventually learn as PP said. These first 2-3 years feel like eterenity to us, but they are learning SO MUCH about how the world works. Amazing! Good luck and have patience. This too shall pass... :) Hugs!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010