Oh My freakin Gah!!! First Transformers now Avatar, what next is barney gonna be racist?

Near the end of the hit film "Avatar," the villain snarls at the hero, "How does it feel to betray your own race?" Both men are white — although the hero is inhabiting a blue-skinned, 9-foot-tall, long-tailed alien.

Strange as it may seem for a film that pits greedy, immoral humans against noble denizens of a faraway moon, "Avatar" is being criticized by a small but vocal group of people who allege it contains racist themes — the white hero once again saving the primitive natives.

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• why are people so hung up on creating racism where it doesn't exist?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Walt Disney was a racist too but I'm sure you show all those movies to your kids. Did you not wonder why it took nearly 60 years for a Disney movie to have a black girl?
    Anonymous

• pple are dumb and I'm not white I agree pple like that are just idiots. I'm going to watch it anyway!
    Anonymous

• Saw that, yawned at the media trying to instigate yet another racist statement where one doesn't exist. ALTHOUGH, the woman behind me in the movie was going on and on about Cameron's white guilt. I didn't see it as race guilt, more the taking over of something that doesn't belong to us, something that isn't race based at all.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Why does anyone even worry about this stuff? It will all be forgotten in a few days and there will be something else to whine about. I really think we all need to think about something else. Cheer up.
    Anonymous

• "Walt Disney was a racist too but I'm sure you show all those movies to your kids. Did you not wonder why it took nearly 60 years for a Disney movie to have a black girl?"

All the "white" princesses were treated as slaves in the beginning. I bet that would have pissed more than a few black people off if they had done the same with a black princess. That's probably why. As is, there was big stink over this movie when it was being created a year ago saying it was racist.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• One of my friends saw it, said she saw racial overtones, but more of a based in reality , art imitates life....but not racist! She is black and recommended the movie highly

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I find it ironic that so many people will cry racist this racist that in the general media but yet these same leaders support the porn industry which is 100% RACIST!!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The Porn Industry is perverted and disgusting....but why is it racist? Please explain?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010