ever "cleansed" yourself out?

So my hubby's parents are big into 'cleansing' themselves out. They do it like once a month. They have been telling us we need to do it to get rid of toxins and crap that is in our bodies. BUT I am quite horrified at the day. It just seems like a miserable thing to do to yourself, on purpose, kwim? Has anyone done it? Was it awful? and is there anything you can use that doesn't keep you on the toilet for like 24hrs straight? :) Thanks!!

soccerchik8287

Asked by soccerchik8287 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I did it and yes it does make you poop a lot. I lost 5 pounds and gained right back. I saw little results from doing this.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• No but we need to do something...I picture our bodies like a garbage disposal it eats and shreds all that yucky stuff (junk food in our bodies) then when we clean the garbage disposal like using bleach, and soap or whatever we use to help clean it out (which is fruits and veggies anddrinking lots of clean fresh water)...But then again that is just me.

How does your in laws cleanse themselves or what do they use? I am curious...we need to do something I am so tired of feeling sluggish...take care.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• We do it on a semi-regular basis. You wouldn't believe how much better it will make you feel. We don't do it to lose weight, but just to detox our systems.

You just need to be careful because I've seen some people that will not plan very carefully and end up making themselves sick. If you start a detox and dump too much of that crud trapped in your body into your blood stream, you end up with some wicked nasty headaches.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• All you're flushing out is poop.The so called toxins would be in your blood,not your intestines
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I'm with Dr Oz...that is just crack pot crazy. A healthy diet rich in fiber, fruits and veggies and lean meat will do your bowels fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I went to GNC and what they recommended to me was one where I took some extra vitamins and fiber and had to eat gluten and dairy free products (no caffeine either) for about 2 weeks. They said that was much healthier than the colon cleanses that they also sold. I did feel much better after doing it, but it was tough to do. I didn't realize how much gluten, dairy and caffeine I ingest. I also didn't sit on the toilet the entire time I did this diet. It actually felt really gentle on my system, and I felt good during and after.
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010