You call this fair reform?

Labor unions oppose the payment plan in the Senate bill because they say many of their members, who have traded higher wages for more comprehensive benefits packages, would be penalized by it.

Labor leaders at Monday's White House meeting included the AFL-CIO's Trumka; Anna Burger of Change to Win; Dennis Van Roekel of the National Education Association; Leo Gerard of United Steelworkers; Joe Hansen of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union; Ed Hill of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers; Jim Hoffa of the Teamsters; Randi Weingarten of the American Federation of Teachers; Andy Stern of the Service Employees International Union; Terry O'Sullivan of the Laborers' International Union of North America; Gerry McEntee of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees; and Larry Cohen of the Communications Workers of America.

Do you think the Unions are running the show?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100111-715734.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100111-715734.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think all strong lobbies are running the show.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I thought you hated unions?
    Anonymous

• I guess you are speaking to me: and yes I do hate unions. I hate them with a bloody passion. Was just commenting that the lobby system as a whole is in charge of our government. Strong was only used in the term of a whole lot of money behind them.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Who do you think put O in office? The SEIU paid their way to the WH....might as well have their initials on the towels in the Lincoln room. They have O wrapped around their finger....why do you think that O showed support for the Teacher's Union when the Union itself is only out for $$ instead of actually helping improve some of the teachers' issues. Those that run Unions are the next Wall Street crooks.......just look at their bank roll.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 9:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

Imagine that, we agree on something. I think it's been that way for some time. This h/c "reform" looks like it was written by lobbyists.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It's scary that the unions have so much political power.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I am a member of a union, and have my current job simply because of the benefits including medical and we would not have these benefits if it weren't for the union... that being said- I would love for the health care reform to pass because I am tied to this job because of the benefits... we can't get medical any other way.. so in order to leave, change careers we need access to insurance. Unions are scared because they are losing a big bargaining chip- but it still to their benefit- because then we can ask for more/different things instead of just focusing on ever-escalating health insurance costs...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• U was talking to the OP she hates unions
    Anonymous

____
    Oh good grief Anon, can you please troll somewhere else? Who in the world do you think you are claiming what I hate? I do not agree with lobbyists, I do not agree with the twist arm ways of SOME unions! My father in law belonged to a few different unions... he was strong armed several times and LOST income and benefits due to the thuggery of the unions in which he belonged to. I do not agree that these unions should get priority over this legislation. I do not think they have true best intentions of their workers and in general the public.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2010