Do you know a mother that brags too much about her child(ren)?

Granted one can be happy about milestone achievements but when they exaggerate by saying their baby sat up by himself at 2 weeks, that baby walked at 7 months or that baby smiled at a week... or that her baby is 32 lbs at two weeks...

My SIL is like this and drives me crazy!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I THINK ITS GOOD TO BE HAPPY ABOUT LIL MILESTONES YOUR BABY REACHES BUT WHEN IT GETS TO THE POINT WHERE THEY COMPAER MY KIDS TO THEIRS IT DRIVES ME NUTS ! IN MY CASE ITS MY HUBBYS SIS IN LAW AND HIS BROTHER I ALWAYS GET MAD AND TELL THEM EVERY CHILD DEVELOPS DIFFERENT IT DOESNT MAKE THEM ANYLESS OF A PERSON IF THEY DEVELOP LATER ! AND I TELL THEM DONT COMPARE MY KIDS TO YOUR KIDS EVER!
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 8:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, there's a difference between lying and bragging. If anyone said those exact things you listed, I'd think they were full of it. I have a feeling you're exaggerating, though, right? I brag sometimes about my son, but those who love us are the ones I tell those things to, and they're just as happy as I am because they adore him. I don't shove it in people's faces, but if someone asks, I'll let them know how amazing my son is, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• lol no I'm not sadly hence the post.
    Anonymous

• exactly Naralie (OP here) When she has to one up and go far off about said miletones, My other SIL isn't like that and yes she did say her 7 month old walked.
    Anonymous

• I know one but she had no mom in her life. SHe brags too much and everyone asks me why do I let her talk to me ? I respond she had no mom so big deal let her show off
    Anonymous

• I think she's just proud of her child. I think we always tried to find ways that our first child was advanced when he was a baby. When I noticed my son's speech was delayed, I was just devastated as I just thought he'd be the most advanced, smartest, tallest, etc. etc. boy in town. Sometimes things like that come up when you least expect them to. I will tell you this though, my son is a wonderful boy and I wouldn't have him any other way! He does about average academically in his class and is making great progress. Chances are, her child is just as normal as any other kid. It's just nice to know that you can reproduce a "super kid" sometimes.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, DID sil's baby do those things?
    If her baby did, it's not bragging, it's just sharing. Like you do. If her child is ahead of the curve, should she shut up?

But seriously, 32 pounds? That is either an exaggeration or a lie.
    Anonymous

• no baby didn't walk early he is 10 months and just now starting to walk by himself which I find is normal and yes she said 32lbs unless it was a typo of mouth she was talking to a moms group with baby in lap whom clearly wasn't 32lbs.
    how can you get someone like this to stop w/out being an ass to her?!
    Anonymous

• Ignore her, some moms can be annoying like that lol but let them be the empty can.
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It is normal parenting to be proud of your children. But to say things that are not true is silly. All children are different and do things at different times in their lives. I just had to explain this to my own SIL. My nephew was not talking at 2 the way other children his age often would, my SIL compared him to my son whom was talking at a very early age. She thought her son was "slow" because she had seen the way my son was as a small child. In fact my nephew is anyting but "slow" he is a very smart little guy but his mamma didn't realize it.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010