Sometimes I can't answer the tough questions about God and it makes me question which direction I should go. What should I do?

I was raised Christian, so anytime my mind starts to reason toward anything else, I immediately feel like my soul is going to hell. I just can't resolve some tough questions that I have about the whole idea of God and the bible. Like why a loving God would create people knowing the path they would choose and allowing them to go to eternal torment. I just don't get it! I just think life should be about living with compassion for others the way that Jesus did. I just can't resolve things for myself and a lot of stuff just doesn't make sense to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• thats normal. i went thru that & often times still do. it difficult to be told one thing over & over again then try to stop thinking it. i mean look how many ppl still call Pluto a planet! sometimes to be truly happy we have to force ourselves to let ourselves think outside the box. it seems like you need to ask yourself some hard questions & let yourself honestly answer them. theres nothing wrong w/ that!

the way i found to be easiest to quell my own guilt over asking questions was to start small. try to start w/ real specific things you were taught that some other denominations dont believe (Catholic/Protestant/non-denominational), then slowly move towards solely Christian beliefs (Jesus' divinity), then branch out to the really big ones (is there a God?). the sooner you accept what your heart is telling you the sooner you'll be happy!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If you still believe in God, and prayer, then I suggest asking Him directly questions like this.
    Anonymous

• Some will never be answered but that one is easy.. its called choices. Just like you raise your child to go a certain way but they decide to go a totally different direction and it breaks your heart and for some there are consequences.
    You have to understand... our mind is not like God's. His thoughts and His ways are vast and way beyond what we think or imagine and understand. It takes trusting that He knows exactly what He is doing and yes you may not understand or it may make no sense to your natural mind but your spirit does understand and one day you will see that revelation and say ohhh I get it now.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I struggled with exactly what you're saying for a long time. I finally came to the conclusion that I don't know exactly what to believe in. I do, however, know that there is someone who ha watched over me my entire life, has answered my prayers, and who DOES hear me. I don't even know what religion I technically fall into because of some of the things I believe in, but I also don't think that that is important to God. I don't believe in one "right" religion, and I truly feel that God is play with that. I love him, I always try my hardest to do what feels right...and I think that is enough. I finally realized that it was okay when I truly felt peace within myself. If I'm wrong, so be it, but I feel that what I believe in is enough for God. I also think that God WANTS you to question everything rather than blindly accept it. It means more, if after questioning it, you make a decision. Don't beat yourself up about it. cont..
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• cont...

What you're feeling is normal. Like I said, I've realized that there are some things that I do not understand, some things that I don't know if they're true or not...but that's okay. You're only human, and I don't think God expects you to know everything. I hope you find peace in everything.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I have a great book for you to read that helps with this understanding. It is called The Shack by WM Paul Young. I suggest it for religious and no religious people it is insightful. I have to agree with the PP God doesn't know our path he gave us free will, and if we choose to do evil rather than good that is on us not him/her. He puts us on the path but we have to take the steps to wither follow it or make out own.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• As Christians, we are supposed to be constantly searching and learning. As for your question, you seem to think people are predestined for hell or heaven. Not the case. He gave everyone free will. I feel like God chooses "not to know" how things will work out, though he could if he wanted to. God is so great that he can be totally confusing. Like, how he has been around before time. When you don't know the answers, you ask! Some questions can't be answered. God ALLOWS bad things to happen, but he doesn't CAUSE them. Satan gets into peoples' lives and corrupts them.. from there people choose. Bad things happen to good people--read the book of Job. Its hard... and thats why its called FAITH! If you have questions, feel free to message me. If I don't know, I will do my best to find out!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• learn about other religions, research, ask questions and see what you find. knowledge is power. I know that as a Christian you(in general-not YOU specifically) are not encouraged to learn about other beliefs- besides that they are wrong somehow (at least this is how it was in the churches I attended) they want you to follow along peacefully if you know what I mean.
    If your heart isn't in it - then maybe it's time to look at another way
    Anonymous

• Actually God does know our path.. He is all knowing but He gives us the choice to choose to walk HIS ways or not. He has ordained every step yet we have to choose to take those steps. He knows some of us will end up taking a detour but He already pointed us to the right direction and even tho it makes no sense, His desire is for us to trust Him and His ways rather than rely on your flesh and self. :-) This is why it is important to have the Holy Spirit within you to help you go the right direction but even then and I know this by experience we still have to choose to listen or not. There are two books I have read ( 3 actually) One is called Hind Feet in High Places by Hannah Hunnard... excellent book to read about how we walk with Him. Another is called Master Potter and Master Potter and the Mountain of Fire both by Jill Austin. Another book on journying in Him. Both gave me a better understanding of my walk with Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You need to let go of the guilt and fear and look at your religion objectively, then follow what feels right.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010