Who diagnosed your child with autism?

Did you get a second opinion? Do you ever wonder if maybe they're wrong?

Kids are different and it seems like sometimes both the parents and doctors are looking for a an excuse for a child that is different and/or has behavioral problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think autism is waaay over diagnosed (as was ADD and ADHD when it first started being diagnosed)...My son has seen plenty of specialist for other reasons (speech therapy and OT for tremors) and I am so glad that each and every one of those highly ranked specialists all said that 90% of children diagnosed are NOT...It's just like anything else..people find a diagnoses and thats what they go to when they can't figure out whats really wrong....and 99% of the time there is NOTHING wrong...just that the child may need a little more help than others...but most people are too damn lazy to actually help there child they would just rather go with some made up diagnoses and leave it at that! God bless each child that has a disability, and God bless all the children that have parents that just want to make something wrong with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Doctors at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. They are some of the best Doctors in the country. My family and I had our own suspicions so the Doctors were actually our second opinion. He was diagnosed at 18 months eight years ago. I believe with all my heart that early diagnosis and early intervention has helped him tremendously and he would not be where he is at now without it. Treat did not have "behavioral problems" he had a lack of speech and socialization. Autism is not just behavioral problems.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think the OP is either just another of the idiots in the world who think there are no problems in kids, OR they have an Autistic kid and are in denial, or feel guilty about it. Obviously, a qualified doctor or TEAM of professionals are the ones who diagnose ANY disability in people.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, NightPhoenix , you're wrong on both of your ASSumptions, actually. Don't be so quick to run your mouth, because you're the one who looks ignorant. Thanks! :)
    Anonymous

• If you suspect your child has it or any other disorder, go to your child's ped and ask for a referral. Peds are great for well checks and sickness but not something like ASD,ADHD, bi-polar or any of the others. My son sees a neurodevelopmental ped. I wished I was more educated myself in the beginning, I spent almost a year with a ped and got no where but a over dosed, and underweight child.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• No, I am not. I am on the Autism spectrum, as is my youngest child and nephew. I have PLENTY of experience with Autism, thank you very much.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i do agree that sometimes the "autism spectrum" is over used, and that autism, along with ADHD, ADD, other behavioral disorders are overly diagnosed.... and often used as an excuse for rotten parenting..
    this is my personal opinion.. i have a rambunctious 3 yr old, who could probably be diagnosed with "something" if i pointed out her flaws, but we accept those flaws and find ways to deal with her outside of medical intervention.
    i would never apply a label to her, and never will.
    Anonymous

• Actually I was ridiculed on CM cuz they were testing my son for autism and were finding things that looked "autistic" in observations. When they did the actual testing though, they found out that he wasn't autistic at all, just had a speech delay. A lot of children are misdiagnosed with this. Definately get a second opinion. If you are going through the school system, find out the credentials of the testers what happened etc. If you don't agree with the evaluation, the school has to pay for a second opinion from someone not associated with the school.
    Anonymous

• No, I am not. I am on the Autism spectrum, as is my youngest child and nephew. I have PLENTY of experience with Autism, thank you very much. "

Hmm, that makes sense. But, you don't know me, and you have no experience with me, and you're rude assumptions of me are what I was referring to. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

• .....there is no such thing as a bi-polar child.

my opinion.

quit drugging kids!!!!!!
    Anonymous