My son has to pick a sponsor for confirmation. I am not religion literate at all.

What should we say when we ask? Are there any special gifts?What is the protocol associated with confirmation in the catholic faith?

bella69147

Asked by bella69147 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It just has to be an adult catholic, you usually ask a good friend, somebody who he will talk to or spend time with in his life. I was confirmed as an adult I picked my really good friend. Just ask if they would be willing to sponsor, and you can give a gift at the end for their support, but they will also give him gifts for his accomplishment. He will have to take classes and do special functions with the church and then they will have their ceremony and be fully catholic. You can message me with more specific questions if you would like.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Confirmation is about receiving the strengtheling gifts of the Holy Spirit as one moves forward in their Catholic faith. When someone is raised in the Catholic faith the parents picked the sponsors (godparents) for the baby. At confirmation the person can pick their own sponsor. A confirmation sponsor should be a practicing Catholic (but it cannot be the person's parents). Sometimes, if appropriate, a person can ask one of their godparents to be their Confirmation sponsor as well, or they can pick someone else.  The sponsor should be someone who will help the person being confirmed to continue to grow in the Catholic afiath.   This article is about godparents/sponosr and includes a section about things to consider when picking a confirmation sponsor  - it could be helpful.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010