bed time

my little one is 18 months old. Ive really never had a problem with bed until about 3 weeks ago she work up at 130 screaming. I calmed her down but she wanted to lay on the floor with me. It happenend again the next night. Now she wont go to bed! she wants to sleep on the floor and someone has to be with her. What can I do? What do you do?

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 9:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD was doing this last week she is 19 months, I had to be stern and tell her "No it is night night time and you need to lay down in your bed." It worked and has been working, after she gets in bed and lays down I cover her up pet her hair for a minute kiss her and leave.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My son did this too. If he didn't go back to sleep after I put him back down, then I rocked him until he fell asleep. Then I put him back in bed. My son doesn't create dependencies easily though, so that is how it isn't an issue with my son. He rarely wakes up screaming and doesn't ask to be rocked after I have rocked him once. He's very good about sleeping on his own.

However, some children do create dependencies or securities after being rocked to sleep. (Or given something to sleep with) That's something you'll have to decide with your child, but if they're asking for it every night then it sounds like she is creating a dependency. You need to just let her know that she's a big girl and can sleep in her own bed. Be gentle with her and let her know you're in the next room, but she does need to sleep in her own bed. Don't allow her to fuss her way into sleeping with you on the floor. Stand your ground and make her stay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Have you tried to find out what she's scared of? I know it's tuff at 18 months but she may be able to tell you enough to get a grasp on the problem. The other thing is one of those stuffed pets that look like there breathing .
    Jennied13

Answer by Jennied13 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2010