Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the brick looking stuff in my fireplace called?

It looks like stone or brick but it is in sheets. One of them has busted and the metal behind it is exposed. We think this is causing the fireplace not to heat as well as it did. It is a built in fireplace. Do you know what it is called. We need to replace it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

Answers (5)
  • Stucco

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

  • I dont know take a picture of it and go to home depot and ask they should be able to help.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

  • Stucco isn't brick. It is a specific kind of material and design.
    Yours is most likely faux Brick. Just a layering of fake brick material. If it is real brick it's half bricks, or a sheet of half bricks. that is just a covering on your fireplace. A design to keep it from looking industrial. It isn't the reason your fire place isn't heating up like it used to. It's probably that the chimney has a crack, a hole, or you have an unneccisary down draft.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

  • Firebrick?

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • IN your fireplace? It's called fire brick, made of a special material. You should get it replaced ASAP because fire will eventually burn right through the metal. Contact anyone in your area that sells woodstoves or services chimneys.

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.