What methods do you use when your child continues to misbehave at school?

Our son is 7 years old.

We have tried no tv, no playtime, writing sentences, and even spankings. The teacher says that he talks and plays around too much in class, thus, disrupting the learning of others and himself. It's frustrating, b/c it seems like he gets in some trouble every week!! It's sort of embarrassing too. I'm not sure what to do....

chyldoftheking

Asked by chyldoftheking at 9:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just be consistent.. Also try talking to him ask him why he does that.. see what he has to say. I made my troublesome 6 yr. old girl a chart if shes good she earns a heart or whatever shape she picks.. if she earns 15 shapes she gets a small reward. I found you can't just punish kids you must reward good behavior as well.. a little bribery is ok ;) I also keep my kid busy in girls scouts & swim lessons.. that way if shes bad I have something to take away.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You have plenty of options. Charter schools, private schools, home school, home with a tutor. Maybe he can't learn in that environment. Not every child fits into the cookie cutter mold that public schools want them to fit into.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Boys this age are often immature. The most important this is to let him know you support his teacher. If you bad mouth his teacher chances are he will think this means it's ok to act up in her class.
    He could also be bored in school. Often when kids are not challenged enough they will act up because they are bored.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I agree with PP. The environment may not be right for him. Maybe he just thinks and learns differently from other children. You may look into other options and try to find out what's going on with him. Discipline may not be your answer.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would go and sit in his class, that usually deters the behavior at the time, and tell him that you will come back randomly and if he is not being good you will sit next to him everyday. I also don't agree that public schools are the problem. He needs to know that he will get in trouble there and at home for doing it. I acted up in 2nd grade my mom came and sat in my class and that was so terrible to me I never acted up again ever.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• It sounds like you are jumping all over the place, instead of being consistent.

You also may find that rewarding good behavior works better than punishing bad behavior. Whatever you do, be consistent.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thanks for the advice everyone!! I did tell him that if he gets no bad marks on his weekly behavior report, then I'll give him a dollar to spend. Is that too lame? He seemed to like it at first but now it seems like it's not that important to him. He was in soccer and basketball during those seasons.
    chyldoftheking

Answer by chyldoftheking at 9:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2010