Are there other ways of teaching no touch?

I have a almost 9 month old son, who definetly does not understand the word no, no touch, or no wire. I do not have any other ideas how to get him not to touch wires, outlits or say the stove, i try to teach him no touch or no hot. This is my first baby, i am getting outlit covers, but i want him to listen to me when im saying no do not touch this. and he is obviously not understanding the point of me saying DONT touch it, It makes me aggravated, he has been trying to play with wires ever since he really started grabbing things. ANY IDEAS HELP!!

kcurci87

Asked by kcurci87 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put it this way he does understand when i say no touch, and still does it and laughs.
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The best thing to do when they are this age is to put things out of reach for them. Some little ones simply have to touch everything. When he is a bit older he will be more apt to understand the meaning of NO.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• smack his hand and say no touch loud enough to startle, with the oven we acted dramatic and said oww hot oww hot hot.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• well unfortunetly i cant exactly move the wires, i do not live on my own but ill see what i can do i even have a huge fence thing he plays in but some how he finds something and it drives me crazy
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• First..safety proof the house. When he does touch use don't touch that, leave it alone..etc and move him away. Try to avoid the overuse of the word NO. Why...No needs to be reserved for special times when the word and the pitch of your voice means NO!!!! You'll get hurt. Like reaching for a hot stove or heater, going into the street, pulling on something that may fall on them. I learned this the hard way with my oldest. I used No so much he thought it was just and everyday word. One day when he was about 2 we were walking and he saw something shiny in the street. Before I knew what was happening he DARTED from my hand to go it. Thankfully there was no traffic. But when I screamed No at him he froze...immediately. With the other 3 I've raised passed that age they learned early on when Mom says NO with THAT tone it means freeze-STOP..right now. It's so hard with little ones..you can do this.. lots of patience and consistancy
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• He does understand, he is just curious and doesn't want to listen. You do not need to use violence by hitting his hand, that will only teach him to use the same method when repremanding you or someone else. How about you talk to him like a child instead of like an invelant. Instead of saying "No Touch" you tell him "Please do not touch the stove." Children, even as young as 9 months, are not stupid. Treating them like they are is only going to get them to act like they are. It solves nothing. Talk to them as you would talk to your friend. Would you tell your friend "No touch, jen, No touch?" No, so don't talk to your child that way. Respect him and he'll respect you.

Try a time out. After the first time give him one warning. "Johnny, please do not touch the wire. If you do it again you will get a time out." If he does it again put him in his crib for a couple minutes or until he stops screaming. Then take (contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• When he is on the floor put some bright colored toys on the floor with him. When you see him going towards something pick him up and distract him with his toys.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• (Contin) Then when you take him out tell him "I told you not to touch the wire and you didn't listen, so you got a time out." Be consistant, follow through, and don't give false threats. If he doesn't listen then punish him. Very, very few children actually walk away and don't go back after they're told "No". They're children and they're curious as to how everything works and what reactions it gets from you when they touch it.

As far as a PP suggested, putting things out of their reach is a bad idea. You want your child to learn not to play with something, and putting it out of their reach doesn't teach them that. You have condoms in your sock drawer, but your son doesn't know not to play with those, because he doesn't know they're there. It's the same with everything else. You have to TEACH them not to play with someone in order for them to understand that it can't be played with. Parent him, don't shelter him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• One more thing, I promise. The best way to teach a child "Please", "Thank You", and "Your Welcome" is to use it everyday with them. When I tell my son not to touch something I ask it politely. I say it calmly as well. "Please do not get into the TV Cabnit". When he walks away, which he usually does, I say "Thank You." I'm showing him respect by being calm and reward him for doing what I ask. Very rarely do I yell at my child and it works. When I do yell right off the bat he ignores me, but when I ask nicely even after I've yelled he listens. See .. respect your child and they'll respect you. Amazing what a 16 month old will do when treated like a human being.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• thankssss!!!everyone
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010