If your college education was PAID for by mom and dad (or other)....

Do you feel like you appreciate your education any less than one who had to take out loans and pay for it themselves? I hear this a lot. "I won't pay for my kids education in full, for I want them to be MORE appreciative of it."

My dad paid for me in full, and I am completely appreciative of the education I received. I am so very thankful for him being able to do that for me as well. I don't feel like I was handed anything, for I still had to BUST MY ASS to earn that degree. The money alone didn't get me the education and degree. I WORKED for it.

I honestly think people who feel that way simply had to pay for their own way in college. They just ASSume one who gets a free education is less appreciative. They shouldn't think that, for it just isn't true for all of us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• You are exactly right OP. Just because a parent pays for their kids education doesn't mean the kid did not earn the degree. More so I believe it is women or people that are jealous that make those remarks towards the ones that parents help paid for the education.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My parents paid for my education and I appreciate it plenty! I am very grateful that they were able to do that for me and hope that I'm able to afford my kids education as well.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I do think those that struggle appreaciate it more BUT thats not to say those who get it paid for don't appreciate many appreciate just as much but the fact is you are lucky and many of us are not. I hope to do that for my kids but as for me I never had a dime handed to me and worked and went to school and paid my way so hell yea I appreciate it.
    Anonymous

• I definately appreciate what my dad has done for me in paying for my education. It's a wonderful gift that I hope I will be fortunate enough to give to my own kids. I was raised to appreciate things and to be thankful for what you have. I think it just depends on how you were raised.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• My education was paid for. I was honor roll in school and graduated #3 from hs. I went to a private school and busted my butt to earn my masters. And now, I am putting money away so I can pay for my daughters education when she goes to school. I have always valued education and appreciated all of the help I recieved. I'm in the "pay it forward" mindset.
    Anonymous

• Pell grants paid for my college. Did I use my degree? No. I don't even feel like I got much of an education.
    Anonymous

• I paid for a very small portion of my education. My parents paid for most of it. Plus I had a nice scholarship. While I appreciate the education. I didn't bust my butt for it. I coasted through and was glad to get out with my 2.6 gpa. We are insisting that our kids maintain a gpa to get money from us for school. It just doesn't make sense to pay for them to party for 4 years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If you're going to bust your butt to get an education because you have to pay for it yourself, you'd still be busting your butt even if you didn't have to pay for it. It's not like the academic standards are different for the two groups of people. I didn't enroll in classes only for students whose parents were paying in full (which mine did) while others enrolled in classes for people on financial aid. Working an outside job gives you money so you can take classes, but it doesn't help you PASS those classes. So, for me, the two don't equate. In fact, perhaps you appreciate your education less if you are working all of the time because you don't have the time to really immerse yourself in your studies and all of the extracurricular opportunities that are available.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My parents were not able to pay for my education. I worked and saved for two years before attending, got some scholarships, did work study, plus side jobs. Not only did I appreciate college, but I enjoyed taking classes in a field I loved. I worked hard and did rather well. Then again I didn't have much of a social life. By the time my youngest sister began college, my folks were able to put towards it. It took her 5 years to get an english degree. She was involved in everything. She switched her major three times. I think attitude relates more to the person's make up going in. But I wonder in our case, if she wouldn't have done better if she wasn't given help. She would have realized there was an end point, and she would have scrutinized her options before jumping in, and prioritized her time or face consequences.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 1:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010