I've been told I shouldn't paint my nails during pregnany... does anyone know if this is true?

bchylilblonde

Asked by bchylilblonde at 10:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've never been told that.
    Anonymous

• it's not true...just don't EAT nail polish and you should be fine...lol
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 10:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I painted my finger and toe nails with both of my boys and OB said it was fine.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• IMO, it's great to avoid unnecessary toxins for the baby's sake.
    If it's just for something like vanity, I don't bother.

My SIL is a hairdresser, works in a salon, around the chemicals all the time. She is fine and healthy. She's had to continue working through her 3 pregnancies. It was okay for her.

But if I step into a salon, even non-pregnant, the fumes are too harsh.
    I avoid that stuff in daily life, but especially pregnant. Just for the baby's sake.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Neither you nor your baby should be in a room with open nail polish. If you must use toxic materials, like nail polish or acetone, use them outside.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The chemicals in some polishes have been found in the bloodstream of people.
    Is that dangerous if you are pregnant? Who knows. I am not volunteering for that test.
    In fact I didn't. I didn't dye or perm my hair, or use nail polish while I was pregnant.
    There is no real proof that it is safe. They USED to think smoking and drinking was fine when you are pregnant.
    Now they know better. I prefer to be safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• OH come on! Some people with the 'not being exposed to the toxins'... there is nothing wrong with painting your nails to make you feel a little pretty while you feel huge with baby. Go for it!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Paint your nails, you and your baby will be fine. Go outside if it makes you feel better. Just dont go get your nails done, at a salon. What you breate he/she does also. Just think of it this way, when your baby is born, do you want her to sit for 45 minutes and smell a bottle of nail polish remover?
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Do it yourself. Skip the nail salon. Skip the acrylics. Too stinky! Even not pregnant it makes me gag!

Also, since your immune system is down while you're pregnant, skipping the nail salon is a precaution-- like not eating lunch meats cold. It's super rare that you'll get food poisoning from lunch meet, but you CAN. It's rare you get a nail infection from the salon but you CAN.

When in doubt, skip it.

The peel off nail polish that kids use it way less stinky and toxic. Doesn't last beyond a day, but it's cute and less yucky.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have my DH paint my nails & we keep a fan on to blow the fumes away from me. I havn't got my nails done but I've painted them. And I went & got my hair cut the other day. but I wouldn't dye it. I think as long as you are in a well ventalated (sp?) then you're fine. GL
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2010