Does single mom want a free pass?

My husband is a manager at a retail store. this women was looking for a job and called him on the phone. Her exact word " I am a single mom and I need a job"why does my husband need to know that she is a single mom? I do not go around saying i am a married mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL, she told your husband she could not work weekends? And she still expected to get a job in retail? LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Maybe she wanted him to know that she was desparate. A little unprofessional in my book.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Single moms can be crappy workers as well as married mom. The fact that she is a single mom needs nothing compared to her work history.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Single mothers do not have an SO to help with bills...in general they have a harder time supporting their families.

She prolly just REALLY needs and job and thought that by saying she was a single mom she might make your husband feel sympathetic towards her situation...I guess she just assumed he had a conscience.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 10:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If I didn't have money and my kids were hungry I would do a lot of "unprofessional" stuff to get a job (nothing illegal, however).
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 10:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Ditto, Mrs.Mack.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Was she qualified for the job? Why would one assume that because they are a single mom they should get the job over someone that is more qualified?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• So...let me get this straight...just because she said she was a single mom, you assume she wants a "free pass"? How presumptuous of you. If she really wanted a "free pass", she probably wouldn't be looking for employment...right?

I would assume that she is like every other job-seeker in this crappy economy. She needs a job to pay the bills.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I also agree with Mrs. Mack.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• She was trying to get the sympathy card. She is making it clear that her child(ren) is/are relying solely on her to get a paying job. People talk about professionalism, but come on now, it is a retail store, that is minimum wage. You aren't going to get the cream of the crop applying
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 10:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010