I am wanting to get involved with the youth group at my church, but my little guy has a bed time conflict... sooo-->

I feel like I need to work with the younger people at church. I am young myself, just 21. They meet on sunday nights when we usually go to our couple's bible study, and on wednesday nights at 7 (when my guy is in bed by). So do I just go every other Sunday? Do I make my guy (he's 16 months) pull a later nighter on Wednesdays? I am drawn to doing this and I know I can make it work somehow... but it is just a matter of doing it. I feel like I want to help the youth be more a part of the church (which can be very... well... sluggish?) rather than kinda off to the side. At my old church you KNEW when the youth weren't there... they were such a big part. Our worship is lacking and I think getting the youth more excited with more upbeat and worshippy songs in the morning and such it would be a huge boost for them and the WHOLE church, spiritually and otherwise!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• you may be drawn to doing certain things with the youth (as you aren't that much older, really. ), but if their meetings/activities conflict with what is best for your family/child, you may have to realize that this might not be the right time for you to do the youthgroup. perhaps its not your 'season', so to speak. there are undoubtedly other ways you can be of service, either towards that end, or in a different area of the church. what it comes down to, if it is too hard on your family, you need to rethink it, definitely pray for wisdom, and just pull back. your LO is still quite young, and yes, he may do just fine changing his sleep schedule/baby-lifestyle to accommodate your new activity-do you have anyone who can play-momma while you play-yg leader/helper..that would be ideal. my advice would be to pray and seek God's will in this endeavor. certainly, it is needed, and we all applaud those who willingly volunteer service.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Is there a room where maybe you could put him to sleep? I know in my old youth group one of the youth leaders had a baby and they had a playpen set up in an adjoining room so she could put him to sleep at his bed time.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I was a youth leader. That one night per week, I just put him to bed later. It never hurt him and blessed my life being able to serve God in that way and help teenagers.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Um...have you ever heard of such a thing as a BABYSITTER?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• That is awesome that you have a heart for the youth. My DH is a youth pastor, and the youth group is a huge part of our life. It was harder for me when the girls were babies, but you can find ways to work around it. I don't do Wed. nights unless it is summer because dd has to go to school on Thursdays and she needs to be in bed by 8pm. But I do Sunday nights. I give my younger one a later nap and we eat an early dinner or toast when we get home. It is harder but it is worth it. The enemy will try and find ways to frustrate you and make it SUPER hard so you will give up. So be prepared for that. Don't give in!!! Resist the attacks and you will get through it. I remember driving home and my dd would be crying and I would think "This is just too late. I shouldn't do this." But then I would see her be fine if we were coming home from grandmas at the same time later in the week!!!

You can do it. But put on your armor! : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I deal with an issue similar to this every week. DH is a youth pastor, and I like to be in the youth room on Wednesdays to stay involved with the kids. Unfortunately, I have a 13 1/2 month old daughter who becomes the absolute center of attention and either distracts the teens or frustrates me to the point of insanity b/c I'm trying to do my part w/ the girls and can't. Most nights we make do, some we stay home, b/c I am the only one with a young child there that late, and there is no one willing to stay for just her. If you feel you need to help your church youth, DO IT. Have a friend come and watch your baby while you are gone. Not only will the youth leaders appreciate it, the youth will appreciate your being involved. Our church needs more adults to get involved, but they simply don't see the need, and our youth, who are already disadvantaged, suffer the lack of positive adult role models.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2010