What do you choose?

All this talk about the word Negro being on the census so people have to choose it there makes me curious. What do you all put...I am not just asking brown people (you on here who know me know I do not like the term black/white...I do not know anyone those colors!)? I honestly never marked it so I am sure mine were tossed!

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I am highly offended that there is no European-American on there......I mean white people came from Europe right..... LOL

IMO race shouldn't be on the census or on most other forms either. This country is such a melting pot that it is hard to find where you fit in.

I am lilly white but my great-grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. That makes me enough Native American to qualifiy for tribal benefits. I don't because, I don't need benefits and I sort of think it is long past time for the govt to stop paying for the past...JMO. But, what should I put on the form?? White with a trace of red....
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I agree with you Special. On everything we fill out they ask for race and yet on the form it also says "equal-opportunity" or" findings won't be based on race." If that is so, than why even have the question on the form. So many people are a mixture of different races, they can't just put one on there.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 11:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I think it is stupid. It is a flippin' census. They are looking to chart demographics. It just feels that people try to find racism in EVERYTHING. It is a term used by people for generations and generations, not meaning to be derogatory at all.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think it's unfair that they ask you to check just one. I mean, many of us have very rich and mixed heritage.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I've noticed a lot of forms now have "two or more races" but no space to specify. I haven't had to fill out census paper work yet, but I do understand the point of it. Demographics. It's not a "politically correct" survey. It's a demographic survey. People will complain about anything.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Also, I think people don't understand the benefits of getting this demographic info out there. The government is spending tons of OUR money. They should spend it appropriately.

For example, if a community notices the black/ african american population has increased in an area, perhaps the public hospital will get more funding for doctors who specialize in sickle cell anemia care.

Example, if a community has an increase of Puerto Rican people, perhaps more ESL teachers will be hired in the public schools.

Example, if a community has no racial majority, more diversity training may be provided to government workers in the area.

That's the point of the census.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Actually the only LEGAL point of the census is to count the population to establish congressional districts.

All of the rest is just used in the distribution of pork. The federal government is handling to many of the things that the states should be handling according to the Constitution.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• People will complain about anything.

Seems to me most people complain because there isn't a "box" that defines them. Very few people are "pure" these days and the current forms don't address this. At the very least they should ask what is your "primary" race or have a box for bi-racial and let you check two race choices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2010