How early do you plan on going out on maternity leave? Im FTM do you think it's selfish to go out 3 weeks before due date? I am lucky to have a desk job, 40 hours a week but already my back has been hurting alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am going to work up until I cannot anymore. I hope that is delivery. The reason I am doing this though is because I will be on unpaid leave due to recently switching jobs.
    Anonymous

• I don't think that's selfish at all! I went on maternity leave at 7 months. I've yet to go back, as I've decided to be a SAHM. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I would rather spend more time with my new born then waiting to deliver. I am pregnant now and work a VERY laborous job and plan to keep on it until I can't anymore. With my son, I worked behind a desk and worked up until delivery.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 10:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i went at 32 weeks, but it's different here. you get 15 weeks of materninty leave followed by 35 weeks of parental that either parent can take.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 10:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I dont know what FTM stands for but I think you should go whenever you are financially, physically and emotionally ready. Financially for the obvious reasons. Physically because sometimes your body just doesnt want to cooperate anymore with the fatigue, weak bladder muscles, backaches, etc. And emotionally because once you do go on leave you may miss the contact with others, the competition, and the challenges (although you will have your own challenges!). Just do what you think is best for you and your family.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I went 2 weeks before with the two pregnancies that I worked during. It was very physically demanding work, and my doctor suggested it. It just depends on how you feel. And this will be the last time you get to relax without the baby to take care of. And I believe getting some rest in before delivery is a good thing if you can do it. And if there is a time in your life that you deserve to be a little selfish, this is it! But I don't actually think it's selfish at all.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 11:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I stopped a month and a half before my first two were born and about 3 weeks before my third, but like another poster I had a year of leave, so taking that extra time off before baby was born didn't leave me with next to no time with them afterwards.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I worked until the day before I delivered. I was working from home two weeks later; in the office part time two weeks after that; full time, four weeks after that. I only had three weeks of vacation/sick time accrued, so I needed to work as much as possible.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i don't think it's selfish. i would do what i could afford to do. personally, i am going to work as long as i can, hopefully until right before the birth, because i want to be out of work until the baby is as old as possible and my leave is limited to 3 months plus i don't even konw if i'll be able to afford to take the full 3 months.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My last day at work will be Feb 12. My c-section is secheduled for March 1st. I am returning to work on April 12th. So, I am taking 2 months unpaid leave.
    Makenseysmom

Answer by Makenseysmom at 7:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2010