How do I get my son to poop in the potty?

My son is 3 1/2 (he'll be 4 in May) We have been potty training FOREVER and no matter what we try he just won't poop in the potty...

We take him to the potty every 45mins and praise him heavily when he goes. He also gets a "reward magnet" on his chart and a sticker.

We have put him in "big boy" undies, given him books to read while he is in the bathroom and even special "potty toys" to try to keep him there.

I realize no one enjoys going potty, but he can't keep going in his pants. What do we do??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We had that problem with one of my twins. In fact all of them had one problem of their own (as I had 3 potty training at the same time). I went to the library and they gave me every single child's book and movie for kids on going potty..and yes they show a little cartoon boy or girl go poopy on the potty for the first time. Oh my goodness it was heaven sent for us. I watched my kids sit back and absorb all the information...if they could have taken notes they would have.. My husband would go in there with him too and talk and reassure him..he just let him hang out for a while and soon it happened. I think he did it once and that scared him. Give it time. :)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• make it like a game gross but show him yours in the toilet and get excited and them show him to his potty and tell him you will get a cookie if he goes in his potty
    kathy067j

Answer by kathy067j at 11:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• there is a movie called 'go potty go' that inspired my daughter
    RosaMae

Answer by RosaMae at 2:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010