Anyone else start potty training around 13 month? Have any tips or adivce?

I just decided I wanted to start potty training my 13 month old boy. My husband and I always said "as soon as he can walk..." so here we are. We spent all day talking about the potty and sitting him on it. He watches my husband and me use the big toilet and thinks it great fun. And, like I said, we just started today and he already peed and pooped in it. However, we had MANY accidents. We know it comes with the territory and are prepared to be patient but being first time parents, we are not the most versed on the best methods. We're kinda just going for it and doing what comes naturally.
That being said, I am extremely eager to hear if theres anyone out there who has successfully potty trained a child of this age and what tips and tricks you may have to pass on...thanks!

junglemama1125

Asked by junglemama1125 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't take this the wrong way- but are you serious?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well don't be surprised if it takes you a few years! If he is not ready you can start him at 2mos, 13mos, 2 1/2 does not matter what age it is if he is not ready you will not make progress that you expect! You being ready is not what it is about its about him...watching his cues and seeing when he is ready and when can he understand this concept...AND BTW most boys TAKE LONGER...Not all but most pushing him will only frustrate you. I am actually just starting my youngest at 21mos. She tells me when she is wet, runs to the potty, brings me diapers when she needs changed these are all cues she is ready but even I am not all high pressure!
    Anonymous

• Good for you DS started getting up at every diaper change and peeing while watching himself at 13 months so Mommy instinct said to try a potty. He is not even 2 and he is fully potty trained pee, poo, big potty with no extra seat the whole nine yards. At his 15 month check up he was peeing every morning and when I remembered (long story...) told his ped and he said that it was really when you should start introducing the potty. We are all told wrong. It is a longer process, waiting until they "get" that they have to go and are able to verabalize it in time, can pull their own bottoms down etc. But I am a SAHM and I just enjoyed the ride. Never stressed or forced it and let it happen on it's own. Introduced it at 13 months and by 20 he was pretty trained except at night (still isn't) however he was slick and would poo in his diaper as soon as he woke up. Now he runs to the potty and actaully LIKES to poo in it...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• con't just go with your instincts you will know what works for you guys. Don't expect it to happen in like 3 days like when they are older though...I could be wrong but I don't think so. Good luck though and don't strees it it will happen when it is supposed to!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm not bashing cause you know your child and when he ready, but my son just turned 1 and i honestly can't imagine potty training him. We're still mastering the simple things. Good luck and i hope it all goes well for you.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• So far things are going well. We taught him basic sign language starting at three months so he could tell us when he wanted to nurse. Now he tells us when hes hungry, thirsty, has a dirty diaper or even wants to go to bed. He comes in the bathroom with us when we go and anytime we are aware of him going in his diaper we make a point to ask if he's going pee or poop. He likes his potty and sits on it without being asked just while playing. I have been asking hime every hour or so if he needs to go potty and the times he has, he walks over to the potty (which is right in the middle of the family room) and I help him get going. If he doesnt have to go, apparently, he just ignores me and go on with whatever he was doing. Im in the opinion that as long as we stay relaxed and positive and dont push him against his will, it cant hurt. Now, if he starts fighting it and associating it with negativity, I will of course hault.
    junglemama1125

Answer by junglemama1125 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2010