25 month old hitting mommy only when mad. I want to smack him so bad but I'm not!

He has a naughty site and I'm ever, ever, ever consistent that he's on that thing the second he talks back or hits. Talks back=a big fat yelling NO from him and then he smacks me.

Some other person wrote that I should grab his hand and kiss it. ANY other ideas??? We have a 2 story home and putting himin his room every time (sometimes its 10 in an hour) is just hard....that's why I have a naughty seat.

lynnard

Asked by lynnard at 10:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that while spanking is productive for some circumstances, it isnt efficient for hitting. I use a swat on the butt in dangerous situations.
    What has worked wonders for my DS (18 months) is that when he hits, I grab his hand and squeeze it not hard enough to REALLY hurt him but enough that it isnt pleasant. While I do that, I look into his eyes and tell him "Dont hit. Nice touches please." If he rubs my back it means he is listening and doing "nice touches" like I told him to so I say "thank you for the nice touches." If he goes to run off, I ask him "are you sorry?" in which case he usually is and will remember to come back and give me an "Im sorry" hug.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• dont mean to be rude or anything but if he is still smacking you then that naughty seat may not be working! im from the old school and i do believe in a firm swat on the behind!
    Anonymous

• I don't care how old the baby is if he/she is going to smack me they will get smacked back, my 13 month like to smack on the face sometimes I smack him back (very lightley!!) and say "that's a no no"
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I should have phrased the question to moms like this, "Please provide me additional constructive ways to get me through the day. It's very frustrating and I feel like a horrible parent. My only saving grace is that he's an ANGEL around everyone else... does he see me as his safe haven to expense his rage against when something doesn't go his way?"
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• i agree with anon
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• With my kids I had to learn to NOT give them the attention. At this age it was really easy for them to get my attention (positive or negative) by acting out. Ignoring the negative and rewarding the positive worked (eventually). I had to really work at the ignore part. However, when I got upset the bad behavior got worse. Be Patient. Good Luck
    Jennied13

Answer by Jennied13 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2010