Why am I a bad mother for not spanking my child?

Why do some people believe this is the only effective form of discipline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I use all forms of discipline. I think it really depends on the child. I would only say you were a bad parent if the technique you were using was not correcting the issues the child is having.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• if ur child behaves then of course not, but if u are one of those whose kid hits, spits and is constantly running circles around u then yes they need another form of discipline!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You're not necessarily a bad parent for not spanking..and those who do spank aren't necessarily bad parents either. Personally, I think that spanking IS effective with a lot of children, and I may or may not spank my son when he's older. It depends on the parent and the child.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You are not a bad parent as well as those that spank are not bad parents.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You are NOT a bad parent. You should be applauded for having the skills to find other forms of discipline that work, instead of getting violent.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I don't think it is the only form of discipline, but it does have it's place. It is NOT getting violent with your children, rather it is showing them that there are consequences to their actions. In our house, it is a last resort - and it DOES work for us.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• You are a good parent for finding other ways to discipline, besides spanking.
    Anonymous

• who said you're a bad mother for not spanking. maybe you misunderstood and what was said was that your kids could turn bad if you don't discipline them successfully -

Spanking worked for some of my kids and not others. What works for my teen now is laddering - giving a punishment and making it known that additional punishments of additional lengths of time will be added on to the first punishment for rudeness repeated and for new rudeness.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2010