How do I stop the screaming?

My 17 month old has a very very loud ear piercing scream. I hate taking him out in public because if he happens to throw a tantrum he literally deafens the room. You would think someone is cutting of his limbs! He also shrieks for no reason which would be fine except its really really really loud. I've tried ignoring it, and tried telling him no, tried distracting him but he's been doing it since he was 6 months old! How do I get it to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• BUST HIS BUTT !
    Anonymous

• Oh good idea, so he can just scream louder!
    Anonymous

• A pillow
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• try it on your kid first dakotanyre and let me know how long it takes your kid to shut up
    Anonymous

• i would say start the spanking/nose in the corner discipline. take him out to the car if you have to.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Be patient it will stop. Violent women on here tonight. I say teach him to use his quiet voice. YOu don't have to beat him to quit. Redirect.
    Anonymous

• at 17 months an ear piercing scream is normal. i have one, and went through it with my oldest at the same age. mine mainly do it when they're excited though, which is what feels like all the time. my now 2yr old finally got out of it, but since my youngest started it, my ds has started back up. guess he figures if she can scream in excitement he can too. i just kind of learned to brace myself for it, if i see something they're gonna be excited about (like their favorite tv show is coming on in 5 seconds), i kinda learned to tune it out at the right time. i can get my 2yr old to stop by telling him, but it's hard for dd to understand lol. as for in public, everyone always understood about them being excited. i've never had them had tantrums before so i wouldn't really know what to say on that. cover his mouth lightly and whisper to him to be quiet? or tell him to scream softly? lol, idk. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• redirect him, don't beat him! The reason he is screaming is because he is trying to communicate with you what is wrong or what he wants. Be as calm as you possible can, I know its hard. Put on some soft music and put him in the corner until he calms himself down. Try holding him in your arms and talking calmly to him or sing to him. If your in public take him out to the car.Good luck
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• I usually just let an ear percing shriek of my own, that way people can give me looks instead of my kid,
    Anonymous

• I'd say he's getting a specific reaction from you when he does it. Maybe you cuddle him or make a "funny" face and he likes it. Maybe if you don't react (not saying ignore) differently, like saying "oh, that's not the way to ask for _____". It worked (works) with my boys.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2010