Why would anyone spank their kid to get them to stop crying?

Does this not just make them cry MORE? Can someone explain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Scratching my head on this one...
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• If they are throwing a tantrum it might make them stop?
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Well, let's see.... I was spanked as a child and yes my father spanked me for crying and misbehaving... YES, it made me stop because I knew he meant business. Sometimes kids just start crying and really cannot stop or don't even remember why they are crying. Sometimes, you do have to gain control over that child... OMG, I am so bad. Yes, my kids are gown and gone and yes they suffered no trauma, no mental illness, nothing.. NOPE, NOTTA.. just normal GOOD kids who have kids of their own NOW.

Sorry to disappoint you...
    Anonymous

• It works for some kids and for some kids it doesn't. All I usually had to do was give the "evil eye" and they knew I meant business.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• anon....who are you disappointing?
    Anonymous

• yaa i spank mine to get her stop, and she does!! she knows i wont let her get away with crap, and i mean business!! i dont spank often, but as a last resort, then yes, i do!! i got spanked as a child up until i was 16-17, and i turned out just fine..so..i dont see a problem..

now if my child hurt herself, and was crying, i wouldnt spank her to stop crying for that reason..its only when she has her attitude!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• Anonymous at 10:20 I know what you are talking about back in the day I too was spanked and grew up to be just fine..I know when I got spanked that meant I was being a brat and a pain in the ass. So I guess it depends on what kind of parents you have sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't so do what you have to do to make it work for you. If you are against spanking sorry you did ask a question on spanking. It seems to work for us...
    Anonymous

• Because the parent is frustrated.
    Anonymous

• alexis_06 thank you for answering the question by explaining yourself without acting like youre offended by it!
    Anonymous

• i remember being a little kid and the phrase "i'll give you something to cry about" sticks with me. I hate this phrase. They already had something to cry about...just send them to their room. You don't have to get violent with your children.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2010