toddler bed question...Please help!

I want to transition my son into a toddler bed when he turns 2 in a few months and my next baby arrives. My question is, when did you transition your child out of a crib and did they go to a toddler bed or twin? If toddler bed, how long did they stay in that? Thanks! Also, any advice for the transition would be appreciated!

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did it when they learned to escape the crib and I didn't want them getting hurt.

my daughter has the crib that turns into a toddler bed, then a real bed, so she uses that.

my son, well I bought one of those cheap bedroom sets at walmart that comes with the table & toy box (we had just moved and my idiot brother broke his bed we brought, needed a new one ASAP) and I highly recommend NOT going with one of those! it's a piece of crap. The plastic headboard is already cracked open at the seams, the metal legs are bending... in hindsight, I should have just gone with a twin bed instead of buying the toddler bed then still eventually needing a bigger bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No toddler bed here, I just bought a full size mattress and box spring and I put on the floor with her favorite character bedding. I't safe for her to get on and off and when she is old enough (in about a year) I'll just her a whole bedroom set.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I never bothered with a toddler bed.. i just dont see the point. Its another bedframe or matress you have to purchase. My son just went into a twin a few months after his 2nd birthday.

I got this bed, but in a different color, because the bottom bunk is low to the ground, and the top bunk has a lip, and would be really really hard to fall out of (as well as not that far of a fall.) Also plenty of storage.
    http://z.about.com/d/furniture/1/0/S/5/-/-/bergcaptainsbed.jpg
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh yeah.. before we got the bunk bed, his bed was on the floor for about 3 or 4 months so he could get used to the boundaries.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• we went from cosleeping to a twin bed at 14 months. I thought it would be better than a toddler bed because one of us could still lay down next to him until he fell asleep. DH is actually laying in his room with him right now.
    It was waaaay easier than I expected. He now sleeps all through the night in his own room, and when he wakes up he comes into our room and stands by my side of the bed tickling or playing until I get up and go out into the kitchen with him.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I just did at 19 months.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I switched my first at around 18 months when he climbed out of his crib, he then moved to a twin bed just after turning 2 because he wasn't sleeping well in the toddler bed anymore (he is a mover in his sleep). I lucked out though.... found his toddler bed for $5 at a yard sale. If not for that he would have probably gone straight from his crib to a twin bed
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My sons crib turned in to a toddler bed but we only kept him in there for 2 weeks as it wasn't very sturdy without the extra rail there. Now I have a twin bed for him. He was transitioned at 2 years old. so far so good, its been a month!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Daughter... right to a full size bed at 2.5. We put the bed in her room while she was in a crib. We would play on it. Easy transition.

Son: at 14 months (w/ a house move) we took the crib mattress out of the crib and put it on the floor. Figured the transition of the move was going to be hard so lets kill 2 birds with one stone... easy transition and we were a bit more Montessori by then and this allowed our son to have access to his room. @25 months now and still on crib mattress but has a platform bed... been great.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• 13 mos, I switched my dd into a toddler bed. And a toddler bed because we recieved a free one from a neighbor. She wasn't crawling out of the crib, i didn't have a baby on the way but she took to it very well. Fell out the first night but hasn't since. She is currently 2 years old and loves her bed! But at night we shut her door with a child proof handle cover so she goes to sleep at night.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2010