Moms - just how useful were your husbands when

your baby was actually born? Did he faint in delivery? Did he advocate for you? How many people did you have in the delivery room? Moms who adopted - what was it like for you when Your baby or child became your family the day of arrival? Was your husband nervous to hand a baby or comfort an older child?

Are your husbands, or even SO's, as caring now with your kids or less involved as time's gone on?

My husband was with me for a bad labor and 3 sections. He refused to go to lamaze classes but he stayed with him for the other things. He hasn't parented much but he's awesome when he has.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 12:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm one of the lucky ones. DH definitely did great at the hospital and he wakes up with me for the middle of the night feeding. He is terrific with both our kids (2.5 year old and infant).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Mine was there every step of the way. He didn't say much because he couldn't get the words out because he was so choked up. I think the whole watching a child being born really took him by surprise. Him and I parent differently and we don't always see eye to eye but we split the child rearing and everything else 50/50.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My husband was by my side pretty much the whole time and he still is today. He travels a lot with his and I'd say he feels guilty that I have given my all to be mommy and daddy while he is gone. When my husband is home working out the store here he has been on thirds and our lil one has a horrible sleeping habit now, he still gets him first thing when he gets home and lets me get at least two hours of sleep before he goes to bed. I couldnt ask for him to help me anymore...He has always been the father to our child that I wish most dads I know would be..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I am blessed wih a man that was right beside me all the way... classes... labor... delivery. I would not let anyone else into the delivery room bc I was a bit shy. He was not allowed to video tape the birth, but could show me in labor and after our dd was born. He took 4 weeks off of work with me to help. This was wonderful bc I was so tired. He changed diapers and all. Our dd is now nine and he is there for everything...dance class, Girl Scouts, soccer, school board, etc. Thank you Lord!
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My dh delivered our first, it was prearranged with our doctor. he was a awesome coach and took some verbal abuse from me during labor lol but he stood by me the whole time. with our second he was what got me through it was rough and scary and his calm voice is what pushed me to keep going. With my 3rd if he hadnt been there i would have freaked my daughter came fast no doctor around the nurses who 5 minutes before told me i wasnt even close to delivering stood shocked as my daughter corwned, dh went into action till a ER doctor could get into the room.

he was great at home getting up with the kids, he did everything and never once got that ewwww look lol when doing diapers. he is still an amazing dad, i am very lucky to have him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• DH was there with me, eating in front of me, talking on his phone, etc. I told him how hurt it made me (a few months later) and he said I should have said something at the time, he didn't realize it was a big deal. DH was pretty selfish when we first got married (we got pregnant a week into being married) but he's completely different now.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• He was wonderful then and now. He was the first to hold our baby boy and I could see the tears in his eyes. He is a big, macho guy... but that was the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. He even changed his first diaper! He got up in the middle of the night and changed diapers...
    And now, he is 2 1/2 and is just as helpful. He gets him ready for bed, gives him showers, plays with him... He understands that I work hard during the day and need breaks myself. He offers for me to go out by myself just for some me time. I have a GREAT husband and could not ask for better!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:41 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The only things DH didnt do were: 1. Wake up at night (which I didnt mind because I was on maternity leave and he had to work) 2. Feed the baby (he couldn't because I nursed.)

Other than that, i had a C section so he did all of the bathing, diapering, etc. for a long time. We now work alternating shifts so I only work after he gets home at 5:30. When I get home around 9:00pm, our son is fed dinner, bathed, and they usually do a fun activity together too (today it was a walk in the sled around the neighborhood). I get to play with DS for awhile before one of us puts him to bed.
    My husband is amazing. :) He does everything I do, plus more.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• mine was awesome.he even caught our youngest. he did everything that i was too tired to do, and far more than i asked of him.
    the oldest turns 5 next week and he is the best dad ever according to her. he will put on the princess crown and let her paint his nails and have a tea party with her. how many guys do you know that will do that? we work on opposing days, so he is mr. mom 3 days a week. he does a great job.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:15 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I had 4 c-sections and he was there for 3 of them. He missed the last one because he was in the waiting room with our older children (we were living 500+ miles from our nearest family and had no one to watch the kids). With the first 3 kids he was extremely helpful after they were born. He spent most of his time at the hospital with me and then did all the diaper changes when we got home and we traded off and on with the bottles so that one of us could get some sleep. Not so much with the youngest. He did almost nothing to help me even though I had a uterine infection after the surgery and was in constant excruciating pain. He just had a nice little vacation from work while I cleaned the house 2 1/2 days after having major abdominal surgery then went right back to caring for 4 children..
    The older they get the less involved he is. They are 9, 8, 7 and 3 now and he mostly ignores the older 3.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2010