Meditation Help - Pagan Mama's Please

I am Bi-Polar and have a touch of ADD... It's very hard for me to focus on anything. But my life is in desperate need of change. I need to work on spiritual, personal and of course financial growth. But I know that I can't have one without the others. So, I have started trying to meditate each day even for a few moments.

I have tried the deep breaths, counting, imagining a tree... None of it is working. All I do is sit and worry about little things.

Are there any techniques that I maybe could try to help me focus and clear my mind for mediative purposes or just daily life?? Any chants or prayers that could help? I've tried the OOOmmm thing... Ummm, no, that just woke my son up. I was thinking about a short chant that may help, but I don't know what to use...

Any and all suggestions would be very helpful!

Blessed Be!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did a mentoring with a friend... I am like you... well his advice was to get a rock, yes a rock! LOL and keep it in my pocket or hand to keep me grounded. It seriously worked. I also find a candle flame very helpful, something for me to focus on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• As a bi-polar pagan with ADD I suggest just going where your mind goes. If when you meditate you focus on a problem then let it go there. I can not tell you the amount of times that I have been trying to meditate on one thing just for some other nagging worry to keep popping up. When I listen to that worry often time a solution presents it's self, one that I have been to busy or too stressed out to thing of. Other times meditation with give me the strength and will power to over come things that I didn't think I could. Or except the thing that I can not change.
    As far as a chant to use, pretty much anything can be good, but I like Io Evoe http://www.en-chant-ment.ca/IoE.mp3 . I find it very calming and very grounding.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I agree, sometimes you just have to let your mind go where it wants to go. Go check out some of the songs on my home page, I use them to meditate with all the time.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I'm not Pagan but I do have ADHD.  I always mediate with my Ipod on.  Music helps to calm the maelstrom of thoughts spinning around in my head and that in turn allows me to focus on one thing or just let my mind clear.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I do do have ADHD nor Bi-Polar, but I suffer from Fibromyalgia which causes ones mind to either forget a lot or wonder a lot... I happen to suffer from both...
    What I do when it's to hard to sit and meditate I will either take a hot bath or a hot shower with music playing... and I let my mind wonder until it relaxes then I am able to focus a bit more... doing this a couple of times helped me to be able to sit and meditate ..
    It takes time even if can actually focus to learn meditation, but for some of us it just takes a bit more...

Blessed Be
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Music.

Like another above suggested, get yourself a Meditation or Relaxation CD/MP3/etc. Certain musics, tones and rhythms, have been clinically proven to affect different parts of the brain...and the different types of brain waves. Also there are several CDs, etc., that feature *Guided Meditations*. (I'm currently working on a few right now that hopefully will be available on CD/MP3 by Imbolc.)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Sounds like you need guided meditation! I need it too sometimes. Best thing that ever happened to me as far as meditating.

You can also find some videos on youtube. Just put in guided meditation or chakra cleansing. Here are 2 of my faves"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFqHa4gOP3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHv_VBvf2xM  <---Yogatic Esther is wonderful. I love all of her videos.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I've also done "active meditation" to be honest I find it easiest to do while I'm washing dishes. lol I guess any repetitive activity would work. Just focus on the task you're performing....I think about the soap bubbles, the wiping of the plates, music helps a lot too. I'll hum to myself...or just let my mind wander.

I've read that meditation doesn't always mean to let your mind go blank. Sometimes I picture different scenes in my head...my favorite is creating a pond with swans and flowers. I can sometimes get it so real in my head that I can feel the warmth of the sun on my head.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• How about the Goddess chant? I own the group Meditation for moms . Everyday I post a short meditation video. You might like to join. There are some chants there as well as some lovely music to meditate to. Don't get frustrated. It takes practice to be able to clear your mind easily even for those of us without a mental disorder. Guided meditations might be more to your liking. Come on by the group and try several different ones. And no matter what remember practice makes perfect. ;)

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010