What meds can I take for a cold while bf ?

I am starting to get a cold- just a runny nose and really bad sore throat at this point. Is there anything that I can take for some relief that wont hurt my 4 mo and bother my milk supply? Thank you for your suggestions!

NewMom9-9-09

Asked by NewMom9-9-09 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont ask anyone here, talk to your doc. you'll get a whole bunch of different answers. Personally I didnt take anything when i had a cold, just in case. I'm sure there are safe meds that you can take but I just didnt want to chance it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• elderbery syrup at the health food store..it works!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• antihistemine is okay like benadryl or the other kind they give preg ladies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Hot tea with honey, gargle salt water. lots of fluids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I would do teas and things like that. No meds.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick รขโ‚ฌโ€œ it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

• Anything Tylenol is safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Ask a doctor before asking an online forum.
    niamibunni

Answer by niamibunni at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010