Do you ever wonder how often people actually use those "safe surrender" sites at hospitals?

I mean I have seen the sign when we are there but do people ever actually bring their baby in?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 1:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, it does happen. I worked at an ER and we never had a case, but shortly before I arrived they had someone use it. When the site is opened, an alarm sounds so that they know that there is a child there. Additionally, they check it at the beginning of each shift. The alarm also sounds during storms and power outages, so we know it works, lol.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 1:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I have never seen one but I am pretty sure they would be required to look at it VERY OFTEN. I worked at blockbister when I was in college and I would have to check the drop off bin for movies every 2hrs. I was looking for DVDs SO.......... I can imagine that they have have someone designated to go check every 30 minutes at least!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Lol!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 1:13 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I don't like nosying in people's business, but I saw someone drop her newborn off...I saw her around my neighborhood a few times and I know why she was coming around here...so I'm glad she did the right thing and put her baby there....
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No I dont really wonder about it I am just glad that they do. Instead of the baby being left in an alley or in the road to die.
    IF Big IF I was unable to care for a child for whatever reason I would do that.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I wish more would. There are still too many abandoned babies.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 2:19 AM on Jan. 12, 2010