Could my 6 yr old son have Asperger's Syndrome? I've always felt that there is just something "wrong" but don't want him wrongly labeled.

I know that this is something to take up with the doctor and I will but as of right now I don't know too much about this.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD and a visual perception learning disability (non verbal LD). He has trouble with personal space and he acts silly and weird to be funny even though the kids express that they don't like it. He is quickly losing friends that he had in Kindergarten and it's effecting his self esteem. I've always felt that he somehow seems to have no feelings in some strange way...he doesn't react normally when he sees someone crying for example. He's always been scared of loud noises and his handwriting is baaad compared to his classmates.

He's on an IEP and we are in the process of working with a new counselor and he sees a psychiatric doctor for meds (he's on Tenex right now). He will be going to occupational therapy at some point. I'm just worried about him.

Anyone have any ideas???

all4mymarine

Asked by all4mymarine at 1:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I am sure if yours sons doctors will be able to answer your questions better then us. Part of what you said goes hand in hand with ADHD, but every child is different. I honestly don't think anyone but an actual specialist in this field can give you the proper answers to your questions.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• First off I hated Tenex and so did my son he slept all the time and my pharmacist even told me it was not a great idea and not as widely used as some doctors claimed. I fired that doctor lol and got a new one. We use Prozac his pediatrican gave ti to use and it is amazing how much better things are, my son said it no longer feels like the nerves are on the outside and he says he can think clearer on it.

I do notice some Asperger like behaviors from what you describe, personal space and loud noise (sensory issues) not knowing how to act properly in situations (social issues) I would ask both the school and his doctor to retest him, you could also seek another doctor to test him as well as a ECSE if you have one in your area, normally a early childhood intervention that is funded through the state, here they are called ESD or Education service districts. contd
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I avoided our pediatrician because i didnt want them to say oh its adhd and not help him, i wanted them to help me find the real answer and help him learn to live his life in a manageable way. Come to find out our pediatrician was also a autism specialist lol i didnt know till 4 years after she had been seeing my kids so I went to her when we needed help with meds, thats when i started finding out about the tenex issues. Did they do a EKG before putting him on it? it is rare but can have possible heart side affects.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I guess I just want some "real world" info about Asperger's because I'm not too familiar with it and all I have are some symptoms listed on a website or two. I like to be proactive and involved in medical things so information is valuable to me!

Maybe some stories about how your child was diagnosed and what led to the diagnosis, maybe some examples of "typical" behavior.

I don't want a diagnosis here, lord knows my son has tons of doctors right now that could do that but it's a long process. Just asking here in the meantime, that's all!
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 1:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I completely understand where your coming from, I will PM you what we have experienced because honestly there wont be enough room here :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:59 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thanks for all the info! What is an ECSE?

The Tenex was working well, we found a good dosage but then we switched to Intuniv. Had a bad experience today when he fell asleep at school and the teacher couldn't wake him. His blood pressure was scary low. We won't be using that anymore. We can crush the Tenex and he takes it in a certain amount of water so I can "adjust" the dosage. I have found out that if the dosage is too high he will be sleepy. I will take a little sleepy over stimulants any day though. And we see improvement so we don't want to take him off.

His pediatrician quickly dx'd him with ADHD so I took him to a behavioral psychologist who said he couldn't help him till he was on meds and I wasn't ready for that. He is starting to see a counselor with a neuro psychologist in the office tomorrow so we will take it from there. I'm just trying to get info so I can bring up different possibilities to have checked out.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 2:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• "I completely understand where your coming from, I will PM you what we have experienced because honestly there wont be enough room here :)"

That would be great, thanks!

Oh, btw, the counselor agrees that a child shouldn't have to be on meds to get help with coping skills so I have a feeling it's going to be a great match as far as beliefs about meds go. And no, he hasn't had an EKG but I'm going to start questioning these things at the med follow up in a couple weeks. I was just worried about his blood pressure today but like I said if we keep him on the right dose he does just fine. All of this is frustrating sometimes! But the poor kid is counting on us.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 2:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Even with adults a EKG is supposed to be standard when prescribing tenex, also it is a high blood pressure medication which could explain why his blood pressure was so low, it is not actually meant for the treatment of adhd or aspergers, it is just starting to be used more for it now and the information on it is minimal, just FYI lol I did some research when we went through it a few years back.

ECSE is early childhood special education, they work with children before they are school age and then continue to help in the elem. schools. I worked for our local ESD for 5 years so I got to know how they fundtion pretty well, it came in handy with my son :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my friends son has a light case of Asperger's he needs speach,(because he doesn't speak clearly) he needs ot, he needs physical therepy, but he's not on any medication. he didn't need that. oh yeah and he isn't a very socialable person.he's very much a loner, but he is a very bright kid. he has maybe one or two good friends.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:49 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• When you see the OT for the eval, ask about Sensory Processing Disorder. Many children who have SPD look just like kids with ADHD and/or mild autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and SPD also often accompanies theses diagnoses, so it is definately worth the "look see". From what you posted in your questions, my guess is that he definately has a mild form of it at the very least and therapy can help.

Good luck, I hope you get things figured out soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2010