Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the "changing your last name" process like?

We're not yet married but we want to change my last name to his. What is the process like? When I google it, alot of court stuff comes up. So will I have to go to court?
I live in Nevada, I dont know if that matters.

Thank you all for your responses!
(Also.. I didnt know which category to choose, my apologies if its wrong.)

Answer Question

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 3:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Relationships

Level 6 (150 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • It is really easy you take your marriage certificate the social security office, and DMV, and banks etc it takes no more than 5 mins each place except the waiting in line of course. It is really easy.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • do what pp said, the biggest one that I forgot about when it was time to change my last name which was the most important one was the social security office but pp basically covered it all:)

    Answer by jsimonds220 at 3:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • I'll be doing it before we get married so I wont have the certificate. Will the process still be the same?

    Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • You cant do it until the wedding certificate is signed, it is not legal until then.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • You have to do it after, when you receive you marriage certificate.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:53 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • Until you are legally married, the new surname is not legally yours and you have no right to change it to that. Once you are married, go to social security first... I made the mistake of changing my license first and had a hell of a time getting social security office to believe I was actually me... They wont recognize birth certificate as a form of ID, so use your marriage license, social security card, and current ID as forms. Then you can get your drivers license changed.

    Overall, its a very easy process if you do it right.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • You can change your last name if they approve it. My friend changed hers to her bio dad's because her stepdad who adopted her was abusive. She had to pay a lawyer, post a legal notice in the newspaper, and go to court. You might call a lawyer to find out if your reason will be allowed in your state but I don't see why not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • In my experience it was really easy. Ditto what truealaskanmom said.

    I wonder if you are reading info regarding legally or formally changing your name? It's a bit of a different process because I think it involves applying for a name change and changing the name on your birth certificate. Changing your last name so that it is the same as your spouse's is not considered a legal or formal name change and you are not changing your birth certificate.

    Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • It would cost a lot less than hiring a lawyer to get legally married. You can always have the fancy wedding later.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

  • I'm having the most frustrating time changing my last name to my husband's. It is because I work full time (and have 50% custody of my daughter) and it is very difficult to take time away from work to run to the DMV. I've already changed it for the SS card. Now I need DMV. I showed up at 7:45 yesterday morning to get there when the doors opened. However, they kept the crowd waiting til 8:10 to tell us that the computers were down!!! ARRggghhh.... today i couldn't cus I took my daughter to school. So now I can't do it til next week. I am so frustrated.

    Answer by kathyartist2007 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.