trying to break my son off from the breast milk..... any suggestions???

i tried to go the whole entire day with out breast feeding and sub. formula and breastmilk in a bottle and he went a day without it and in the process he got reall exausted and had no voice the next day. he threw a fit! That day he had regular food ... mashed potato, mac and cheese, noodles, applesauce, and he would drink water everytime i would drink water.

that night i woke to him pulling my shirt screaming and tossing and kicking.... i need a technique that might have helped you. ( I tried geting him a cup with a soft top and he tossed it everytime i tried to give it to him)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is baby? You can't just stop nursing overnight... that will be hard on the both of you. You want to cut out feedings slowly so that it's a gradual change for him and not painful for you. If baby is younger (<18mo), then you want to go more slowly because you will have a larger supply and he will probably be nursing quite a bit.. try dropping a feeding every 1-2 weeks. Leave bed/nighttime for last. Change nothing else in his routine, just put him off when he would have normally nursed until the next feeding (you can block off chunks of time if that works better for you). After he's accustomed to not nursing at that time, cut out another chunk of time.

The next question is, is there any specific reason for weaning? Sometimes we think we need to wean for a reason and there is another fix... or weaning won't fix it at all and you will just loose a good comfort tool.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:00 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Baby Led Weaning is always best for child and mother. Unless you have a physical problem that is preventing you from continuing to breastfeed, you should continue for the entire two years.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Let him choose when is best for him to stop nursing I agree totally!! But if it is completely not working out for mama then so be it. Baby must be able to take a sippy cup and have another source of GREAT vitamins and fats; thats not always through cow milk. You can talk to your pediatrician about that. I had to cold turkey with my son at 15 months because I had a REALLY bad breast infection and the medicine was bad for him. I just gave him milk in his cup and made daddy put him to sleep instead of me. Just tell baby "booby went byebye or all gone" my son was fine with it in a matter of two days. Me I was miserable for two weeks! if you cosleep it will be harder just because your boobies are right there to baby's disposal lol...GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• If there is a reason you need to stop nursing, that is your choice. Is there any way you can pump and bottle feed? If so, that would be the best choice. If not, try for a week or so to cut in breast milk with prepared formula. Start it with a 90% BM mixture to 10% Formula, 2-3 days later go to 80% breast milk, then to 50% and so on. You don't want to shock baby's system.

Good luck!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• i stopped during the day, then just let her wean herself at night which she did by 13 months on her own.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Cut the feedings SLOWLY...that's for your benefit more than his. One feeding dropped per week, no faster.

And be unafraid to teach nursing manners...there's some great info on kellymom.com on how to accomplish this.m Pulling ont he shirt is unacceptable...but he doesn't know that unless you teach him.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2010