Guilt

What do you do when you get really angry at your child for something and yell at them, but then a little later you feel like a bad mom for doing it? How do you make yourself feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell the child you are sorry, you overreacted. Next time think before you speak. Count to 10 LOL, before you say anything. Remember they are children, not adults. They will make mistakes, spill things, misbehave etc.. that's all part of growing up.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:03 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I apoligize for losing my cool. That way your child knows that everyone gets angry but that there are better ways to handle it. Then just talk about things everyone can do instead of yelling.
    pastaplease

Answer by pastaplease at 8:06 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Just last night I got very upset with my son for picking on his sister (constantly) I just got tired of repeating myself and I said something like...I love you guys so much (my son says yeah right) any way I think mommy is going to go visit grandma by herself (he's like fine I don't care) he was upset at me for getting upset with them. any my daughter starts to cry and says I don;t want you to go. Well I need you two to stop arguing and fighting mommy can't take this anylonger...they both said ok...but we mom's know different an hour later they were back into...aarrgg!!! I had to send them to bed EARLY!!! But I know what you mean I feel bad when I get in that mood....breathe...whew!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I don't feel guilty about doing my job as a mom. If your kid is annoying the crap out of you just think what other people think of him. He needs to learn proper behavior and it is your job to teach it to him, Not coddle him and let him grow up thinking the world owes him. Or he can get what he wants by wearing you down cause mommy doesn't like to feel bad. so if you make mommy feel like crap you can get what you want. Maybe my expecations of my kids are more reasonable than yours so I don't often have anything to feel guilty about. Or myabe you just need some chocolate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I think about how awful I had it as a kid. when I was growing up my mom beat the crap out of me for anything. I, on the other hand may yell, have them stare at the wall or punish them with no toys and no tv and no playing outside. I do feel bad about it afterwards, almost every time, but if I didn't do it then they would be really bad. So I have to look at it as necessary in order for them to be correctly disciplined.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son is only 2 but every time I've lost it, I appolgize and tell him Mommies don't always make the right choices and I am learning also. I will work on it. Clearly he has no idea what I am saying but I don't think its wrong to tell your child you make mistakes to!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2010