Does Dr's give pain meds for root canals?

I am having one in an hour and I am SCARED!

jalex

Asked by jalex at 8:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Health

• Yes they do, ask your dentist.

Answer by older at 8:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Yes, they should have told you! They will give you a local and then wait about 30 minutes and do it, still no fun, but beats the alternative, I am sorry you have to start you day out this way! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:18 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Of course! Tell him .
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You bet they do. I used to work in a dental office, and my boss would write out Rx for pain meds. And when in doubt- ask them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Maybe if you ask, I've always been told just to take tylenol. Relax. You will be fine, it doesn't hurt when they do it and you will just be sore afterward, people make them sound worse then they are when in all reality, if you were in pain before you had it, youwill feel better after having it done. Trust me I have had 5!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• fer sure!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Relax everything will be fine, ask your doc.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Root canals are done using a local anesthetic. If you are really nervous, your dentist may be able to also use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help calm your nerves. I have had several root canals, and the anxiety is always much worse than the actual experience. Please do not be afraid, it will be okay! ((hugs))
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:57 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• do you mean for when you get home?

mine asks if I want a painkiller for when I get home. but he usualyl gives a prescription for an antibiotic too
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2010