How can I stop a 2 year old from sucking his thumb?

During the day when I catch him doing it, I let him know that big boys don't suck their thumb. But during his naps and sleep at night he does it. When I check on him I take it out of his mouth but he puts it right back in. I have noticed his teeth are starting to not come in as straight. How can I get him to stop? I did it when I was a child. But soon stopped after my mom put hot sauce on my thumb (according to her). I don't think hot sauce is the answer but if it will work, should I csonsider it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hope this helps you out:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_thumb-sucking_11574.bc

From that link
    "Let it go. Nagging or punishing your child won't help, because he doesn't usually realize when he's sucking away. Besides, pressuring him to stop may intensify his desire to do it even more. And techniques such as putting an elastic bandage on his thumb will seem like unjust punishment, especially since he indulges in the habit for comfort and security. Try to wait it out. Children usually give up thumb-sucking when they've found other ways to calm and comfort themselves, says pediatrician Suzanne Dixon. For example, while a toddler who's hungry may suck his thumb, an older child (age 3 or 4) might simply open the refrigerator and look for something to eat or ask his parents for a snack instead.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Ours just turned 4, still sucks his thumb and I see nothing wrong with it. It provides comfort and security, the only time he ever does it is when he's going down for his nap or at bedtime. DH made mention of it once, after MIL got on him about it. I asked him...so putting something in your mouth to help you deal with stress is a bad thing? He gave me a funny look, cuz he was lighting up a cig at the time.

Besides at far as crooked teeth go...growing up my teeth were much more crooked then my sisters...she was the one that sucked her thumb. I've seen kids with baby teeth that came in crooked, but their permanent ones weren't.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my sister sucked her thumb for i dont know how long she always had a raw thumb and a red spot on her nose cuz she would rub her nose when she sucked. Try putting a bandaid on his thumb and till him he has a booboo and not to put it in his mouth
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• shay1130- Thanks, I did try the bandaid and he took it off. Gloves and mittens during nap time were taken off. When he was younger he didn't like pacifiers. I thought about giving that back and seeing if that would help and then hos do I get him off the binki?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My older sister still sucked her thumb forever in her bedroom while Im visit her house. Im stop my son suck thumb since he born. Im move his hand all time untill 2 month old. he stop use thumb. cant stop my sis for use thumb.
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 9:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I should also say. Both my girls sucked there thumb. My first stopped shortly after one. My youngest just resently stopped. She is almost 3 yrs old.We did not make a big deal about it.

My two SIL made a big deal with there kids and there girls still struggle with it. One is 6yrs old and then other is 5 yrs old. When I was younger my Mom did the same thing made a big deal and I had a harder time letting go. As soon as she gave up and let me do it on my own. I stoppeed. My mom said if she had not listened to thoses when they said you need to stop her from doing it. I might have stopped early then it taking so long and both of us getting upset at each other.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it too much. He's 2. Let it go for now. The hot sauce on the thumb is not a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• First I want to say: NO hot sauce. You are trying to stop a habbit, not punish a bad behavior and hot sauce sounds like a nasty punishment. Not to mention if he rubs his eyes in his sleep he would then have it in his eyes. Just a bad idea all the way around. I recently read that vanilla might work.... liquid vanilla tastes pretty bitter. Also I just read several reviews of something called "Mavala Stop" It can be ordered from amazon.com or go and read iys reviews
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• ok just read the mavala thing and it says safe for kids over 3 so maybe try the vanilla
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I stopped on my own. It was a total comfort thing for me, I think I actually did it til 13 or something. my teeth however were never affected by it, I just got more and more ebarressed about doing it and stopped myself.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 12, 2010