What do you do to help maintain your freshly done nails?

I love the look of freshly done nails but come 2 weeks later we have to get them done again and that can get pretty expensive. I would love to have mine done but without renewing them...lol I know impossible.

I guess also my real question here is say we do keep up with our nails (which I have for almost a year) then I had to stop bc my nails started to get very weak and flimsy...I haven't had them done in a long time (even though my dh wants me to) but I'd rather have them done for a special occasion. I once knew a lady who would get her nails done all of the time but it got to the point where she did not have her natural nails anymore...that is scary so therefore she HAS to have them done regardless. I don't want that to happen. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Try a strengthener, like Opi Nail Envy, it cost $12 a bottle but last forever! Maybe you could have manicures once a month? Maintain them then the rest of the time? You might want to check into a school as well,,,,I call on hairstylists for a living and our local school charges $5 for a manicure! The nail Envy comes in 4 formulas sounds like you might be sensitive and peeling! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Grow your own nails, it's cheaper and healthier.  Personally, I can't stand fake nails because I can't feel them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• there's a really cool sponge for washing dishes now, it's called the nail saver... and lotion your hands regularly.. the moisture keeps your cuticles looking awesome... a clear polish every other day will prevent chips and cracks in your nails/polish.. also, if you have weak nails, don't try to grow them long, it just won't work... and I recommend getting some professional tools for at home use, you can cut your salon spending in half.. you do still need a pro to fix you up, but I go every two months for a manicure.. I maintain my nails in between at home..
    DillyBoosMama

Answer by DillyBoosMama at 6:08 PM on Jan. 14, 2010