How do you get employment after being unemployed for almost a year?

I was a claims examiner for a vision care ins com. I left to take care of my mother who has cancer. Now that she is cancer free, (Thank God) I am having a hard time getting back to work. I am either over qualified or underqualified, or just plain getting scammed by these morons on craigslist. Any suggestions? I have been self tutoring myself at home on the latest software programs but that only goes so far.
I would like to continue in the field that I was in, claims examiner

Saphire2004

Asked by Saphire2004 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you quit- you are out of luck
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• ^^^^^ I think the OP meant Employment, not unemployment benefits.

I think its really tough in this economy for find a job. Just keep it up and dont let it get you down. Try contacting the place you were at before you left and see if they have any leads.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Just keep plugging away. Use the caregiving time as job experience. Taking care of your mom was a job I'm sure! Get creative and try really hard not to get discouraged. Jobs are hard to come by for anyone right now, try looking in a related field as well. That will open you up to more possibilities.
    You will probably hear no way more than you'd ever like to, but if you keep trying you'll eventually hear yes.
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 11:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Thank you Marsella for the words of encouragment. They are greatly needed in these stressful times. Relationship is on the rocks due to this. Trying desperately to rectify the situation. No luck so far. But I am greatful to you for giving me hope again. I am exhausted from the search.
    Saphire2004

Answer by Saphire2004 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• first and for most pray on it ask God to show you what he has planned for you If you have children it might be voluntering in there school part time once or twice a week some times while doing so a job opens up and they may offer you the position since they have al ready seen the work you do. Focus on what you enjoy doing and if you acn consider going back to school in that field there alot of finciancial assistant for parents wanting to return to school good luck
    April197208

Answer by April197208 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2010