Chunky baby

Is it okay that my 7 week old baby (exclusively breastfed) is in size two diapers? She's so big - she was almost 11 lbs at her one-month check up.

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 9:33 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Chunky babies are healthy. They need all that fat and if you are BFing then she's not getting anything she doesn't need so there's nothing to worry about. At this age they can't really be too big. Once she starts crawling around and climbing and what not she'll thin out because the activity will burn through more calories. My son was a chunker too, he was so cute!! He was born at 9 6.5 and he just hit the ground running with weight gain.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Breast fed babies grow at a different rate than formula fed babies sometimes. EBF babies aren't over weight. They only get nutrients they need. Your body can't make the wrong milk for your baby.

My friend has a little jet-puffed-marshmallow-man baby who is EBF. Everyone says, "Oh don't worry! He'll lose it when he starts walking." Her response, "I didn't know I was worried."

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Awww she's a baby..they are supposed to look like that! Skinny babies are sickly babies. It'll all even out in time :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:45 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Someone just made a comment about how big she is & made me feel bad. I love my chunky little girl!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• People can be SO rude.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:54 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son was breast fed for 4 weeks, at his 2 week well baby he had already gained 2lbs and was up to 10lbs. I was never worried. Fat babies does NOT mean obese children.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:10 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My son wasnt wearing size 2 untill he was about 4 months old. But when he was born the premature diapers were the only ones that fit. And then they were to small so we went up to new born a few weeks later and then a few weeks after that he was up to a size 1. Now he is 7 months and about to go into a size 4. She is healthy. Most people look at chunky babies and think they are to big but when they start movin it goes away fast. Thats why i dont worry about it. And if the doctor hasnt said anything about it then i wouldnt worry about it. The next person that is rude and says that your baby is big just tell them to bite me. I got mad one time when someone told me and DH that our son was fat and i told them they should worry about their weight not my sons...i felt bad after that. But the lady stoped telling me my son was fat =) Your doin fine! Dont worry about these stupid people... lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Please don't worry about the weight in a baby, unless they're under...my daughter has always been and in still over the 95th percentile for weight. Her height is up there too which is important to balance it out. She's only 7 weeks old. Just relax and enjoy your little chunk of happiness :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It is rarely recommended to put a child that young on a diet, really I would address your concern with the pediatrician however I am sure they will say she is fine.
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 2:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Babies come in all shapes and sizes. What is important is her own personal growth curve. Some babies are chunks and some are slender. My baby is slender but I would expect that since I am small boned and was slender as a child too.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2010