What kind of chores do you give your child? Or what chore will be appropiate for them?

Without the mess or going back after them.

Thank you Mommies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 year - old nephew vacuums the stairs at my mother's house (He lives there with her). He uses a little dust buster and he has to do it to get his allowance. You can also have them unload the plastic items from the dishwasher. I used to nanny for a 7 year old and a 5 year old. I would have the 7 year - old organize the plastic containers under the sink and the 5 year old boy would put the plastic spoons, knives, and forks away in the correct slots. They could probably also use a Swiffer pretty well at that age - those are very easy to use where a broom requires more control.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:42 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Oh and folding wash clothes and towels is a good chore for that age range as well, or matching socks from the laundry (I have a big basket of mismatched socks that I have to sort through once every week or two).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My 8 and 10 year olds clean their own rooms (vacuum and dust) plus vacuuming one other room of my choice. They also wipe down the table after supper one night/week, putting away anything that's left out, and sweeping underneath. They put away their clothes after i've folded them (I'm teaching them to do one load of laundry a week, but I am there with them) and they clean 1/2 of their bathroom (I rotate which part between the two of them - I do the toilet and bathtub, they do either the sink/counter or the mirror). They've been doing these chores since they were 5 and 7.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• IT all depends on each age. My 5 yr old - make her bed, helps clean up there mess at night, feeds the cats, helps put her cloths away, helps with what she can with dishes, She love to help fold towels and helps sweep after dinner.

My 2 yr old - likes to hand me the silverware from the dishwasher, helps clean up, she also likes to help feed the cats
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My 6 yr old cleans his own room, puts his shirts on hangers and helps put away laundry, feeds and waters the cats and is responsible for putting the trash bag in the trash can when it gets taken out lol Sometimes he helps unload the dishwasher and put dishes/pans/pots away in lower cabinets.

Thats pretty much it for now. I'm waiting for him to be tall enough to get laundry out of the top loading washer so he can start learning to do his own laundry haha He does like to help me throw laundry in the washer and dryer, he just can't do it by himself.

He gets rewards at the end of the week for behavior AND chores.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 10:12 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• mine are 8, 6 and 3

-tidy bedrooms
    -make beds
    -control the laundry mayhem in their rooms
    -put the folded laundry away

-clean up their bathroom (I do the yucky stuff)
    -homework
    -tidy playroom
    -set the table, clear the table
    -one kid helps make dinner every night (and the others clean up after and set table)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my daughter 7 mentally she is 51/2 her chores are picking up her toys and putting them away sometimes feeding the dog she wipes the table off after dinner and she put the recycling bin to the road on garbage day she will also help me take the clothes out of the dryer when she feels like it
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 12:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My near 3 year old picks up ALL of his toys before nap & bed time and before we go anywhere.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• My 5 year old cleans his room and his bathroom (without the chemicals), helps me with laundry and occasionally with dinner.
    My 1 year old helps clean his room, normally his big brother is helping too, he will help us put clothes in the dryer and he throws his diapers and other misc trash away.
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 2:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• my boys are 3 and 5. My oldest son will vacuum....(he always asks me to) and he will help me sort laundry and put it in the machines. My younger son loves to help me put away the dishes from the dishwasher...I never even asks...as soon as I open the dishwasher he comes running over and starts pickin up stuff to put it away or hand it to me if its out of reach...I can digg it! lol
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2010