Military wifes

DH has been in the Army for almost 3 years now. Well DH and I decided that we were not going to get the H1N1 flue shot because we do not feel that it is safe. His command said that he HAS to get the shot. So he did. Is there something that i can do to make a complaint about them forcing him to get the vaccine?

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 10:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Nope. They pretty much own him. I think that they should have a choice with certain vaccines but I guess unless they cause a big enough stink about it, they have to get them. The Army needs them healthy at all times so they can deploy when they need them.

If you make a complaint, it will be totally dismissed I'm sure.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 10:16 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Your husband is a GI (Government Issued). When he signed for the ARMY he signed over his rights to them. What ever vaccines they want him to get there are no if ,ands ,or buts about it. He can technically be chaptered out of the ARMY. The reason I responded to this is because I now what happens, my Husbands friend in his unit is being chaptered out because he did not get the shot (H1N1).
    cookiepops80

Answer by cookiepops80 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I just dont think it is right. My husband does not believe in getting vaccines. He has not got them in a while. And i just dont think that it is right that thay can force you to do that. When i was in the army i was able to decline getting the flu shot and there was not a problem with that. But this company that DH is in now just seems like most of them are not to bright. Like today they had them all do a training thing where they had to use their ACU's to float in the water. WHO WOULD DO THIS IN 20 degree weather?!?! And DH is still getting over a cough. They are going to make him sick and he is scheduled to have surgery on his shoulder in a few weeks. I just dont get it. I want to say something but the last time i made a complaint my husband got in trouble and i dont want that to happen. He is already getting in trouble because he was late to work because he was told he had to give the H1N1 shots thismorning and it ran later
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:28 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It does suck some of the stuff they have them do, but I have learned that this is what we signed up for the good and the bad. So far we have had more good than bad with our military expierence. It all has to do with who you end up with . There are units that have hard core military values then there are some that just goof around all the time and they have ate up soldiers. I am sorry your husband is sick , hope he gets better. And if I were you I would not complain anymore cause you will end up having your husband look like a big pussy. Sorry I was so harsh right there but that is what my husbands soldiers would say.
    cookiepops80

Answer by cookiepops80 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• He can't refuse & they won't care if you complain. It's "for the good of the unit" They don't want one guy getting everyone else sick.
    Another Marine in my husband's company was put in the brig for refusing to get smallpox & anthrax before they went to Africa in 03.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No, they can make him, just not you.
    Jeda624

Answer by Jeda624 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• hell no, you cant complain and neither can he. He's in the military and he MUST take the shots they give him...its mandatory....I've been a military wife for over 10 years....get used to it dear
    Anonymous

• Yep, like the others have said, he gave up his right to decline. When my husband got his smallpox vaccine, he tried to decline because I was pregnant and he didnt want me exposed to it but it did no good. He ended up having a reaction to it but thats what he signed up for so no sympathy.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2010