Is it normal for my seven year old daughter to be curious about sex and trying to search it on the internet?

mamaof3girls467

Asked by mamaof3girls467 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• that's a little young.......
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I agree with TMJ121099, that is a little young to be curious about sex. I think you might need to look into this. Keep an eye on her actions and behavior.

Answer by louise2 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I do think she is young, BUT I also think she is also curious so it's time to tell her something about sex. I was in kindergarten when my neighbor girl told me what sex was, so she may already know more than you would like her too. Sit down and have a talk, let her lead and be prepared to answer honestly, but within the limits of her age. I am sure you would much rather have her hear it from you than to find things online, yikes!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:34 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Sounds like to me that someone (a friend at school maybe) may have told her some things. I could be wrong about the friend...but make sure if she's trying to find info about it, that she gets it from you. There is so much out there that is incorrect and plain stupid...plus who knows what kinds of graphic stuff she may see online.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I also think it is a little young. I would most likely talk to her about her cureosity to it and find out what she wants to know. I would rather have her hear it from me then looking on the internet. also if you computer had it. I would put up the security up so she can not look up that stuff. I don't know how that works but I hope you are able to do that.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• sounds young, how does she even know what sex is? My 6 yr old wouldn't know what it meant if someone said sex to him, and I don't think he is old enough to discuss it with him yet.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• You need to sit down with her, ask her what she knows, and ask her what she wants to know. She needs to understand that you will always be there to answer her questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:52 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• No. Someone or something has placed those ideas in her head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• im not so sure her age is a factor at this point...young or not she obviously is wanting to know more. plus, with today's media and tv shows, sex is pretty much out there for everyone to see (the tv series Secret Life of American Teenagers for example, the whole 2nd season rotated around a pregnant teen). i think preventative talks can definitely put a damper on her search for info. my mother did NOT have any kind of talk with me when i was young and i took it as a sign that she didn't trust me with the truth. if she is old enough to know where to look, then maybe a portion of her questions can be answered now, but save the most graphic for a more understanding age.
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 11:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• Curious about sex? YES. Looking it up on the interenet? Not so much. Sounds like it is time for you to TALK with her. The sex talk needs to be an ongoing, open and honest communication. It needs to be truthful but age and developmentally appropriate. If she is asking, she is ready to know. It does NOT mean someone is molesting her or putting ideas in her head. Talk with her and find out what she knows or thinks she knows, what she has questions about and then answer them without freaking out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2010