Is there a way I can get my 2.5-yr-old to recognize the urge to pee or poop before he goes?

He's gotten pretty consistent at undressing and taking his diaper off and wanting to sit on the potty after he pees or poops, so I know he's ready and understands the feeling of having gone, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to catch it before he goes, or if it's better to wait until he lets me know. Any suggestions?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 10:36 AM on Jan. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to watch him like a hawk and learn his signs -- going off to a corner, hiding, grabbing himself, getting a surprise look in his eye, doing the pee pee dance... Once you learn his signs, you'll know to swoop him up and take him to the potty. Then talk to him about it, "When you feel this (whatever the sign was) it's time to go potty." Good luck. You're in for an adventure.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I ask my son all day long if he has to go, just so he at least thinks about it. That seems to work because evetually I will ask and he will go to the potty and go. If I don't ask he waits until last minute and doesn't make it to the potty in time.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I say potty him every half hour.. if you do not want to be pottying him all day long.. he will do it when he is ready. most of the time it is better to let nature run its course. that is what I am doing with my daughter and she is doing so good going ON the potty and she is so proud of herself! dont make it a chore.. :)
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 7:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I spent a whole weekend with DD in panties. There were quite a few accidents, but by the end of the weekend she had it figured out.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2010

• it just came naturally for my son..... and he doesn't like to be dirty/wet...... so I think he just learned if he goes in his pants he will be uncomfortable... he showed me at like 20 months that he wanted to use a potty instead of his diaper, so we had quite a few accidents, but now he's 26 months and he only wears a diaper to bed and he doesn't pee on the floor any more * except yesterday, his twin cousins and aunt were over and he pulled his pants off and peed in the living room right in front of everybody! I think he was showing off!
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 1:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• write down the times he goes for a few days usually you'll find its consistent put him on the potty 5 mins before these times read sing or play a little game as he sits there so he dont get bored see if that helps
    April197208

Answer by April197208 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2010